Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp Z600 Workstation

Hello

I wanted to know if I can use a evga gtx 1060 on a hp z600 workstation because i watched a video and it said i could but i dont find it anywhere on the user guide

THANK YOU !!!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

The user quide and quickspecs sheet are only going to list the supported graphics adapters that were available at the time (2009).  The GTX 1060 was not available in 2009.

http://www.hp.com/canada/products/landing/workstations/files/13277_na.pdf

My concern would be that your PC does not have a UEFI BIOS, and I am pretty sure that card requires a UEFI BIOS.

However, if you saw a video that shows the card will work, then I guess it will work.

I found this YouTube video that indicates it would work...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxHxp2hWB0o

HP Recommended

if you want you can ask AMD/nvidia or any branded video card maker if their products are uefi/legacy capable and they will tell you yes they are

the video card itself is not the issue, the card maker has made the card's bios so it will work on a non uefi and uefi based systems. this is done so the cad maker can reach the widest audience of prospective buyers while some earlier cards had a switch to "force" a uefi or non uefi mode, most card makers opted for a software based solution that auto detects the nessary mode and switches to the nessary bios code.

where the problems come in is that many motherboard makers played fast and loose with the video standards in their board bios' routines and some board's bios's are unable to work with a video cards detection routine and set a legacy video mode. IE-they get stuck in uefi mode instead of legacy mode,.... early award bios's  in the v6 and v7 range are known to have these problems preventing current uefi/legacy based cards from auto switching from uefi to non uefi legacy mode

the HP z600 follows the standards rather closely, which is why a newer card (including the new nvidia 280 series) will work in this motherboard even though it's a non uefi based bios

HP Recommended

I can confirm the combo works, at least an EVGA GTX 1060 (3GB) works with a Z600 (v2), 2x E5540, 12GB ram system.

The only caveat being needing to buy a 6-pin PCIe to 8-pin PCIe adapter cable for the PSU.  (with a preference for a cable that has 3x yellow wires).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.