Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Elite 8300
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I already posted this once and can not find my post. Sorry if it shows up as double but my original post is NOT in my profile.

I have a HP Elite 8300 I upgraded from Windows 7 Professional to Windows 10 Professional 20H2. When I click start then shutdown it just logs out and logs back in. It does not shut down. I set the power options when I push the power button to shut down. Pushing the power button does the same. It will not shut down unless I told the power button.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi,

do you made a inplace update? If so try to install all the device drivers with the latest ones from the manufacturer and also install the chipset drivers again. Inplace is not a good idea to 20H2. Look also if you can restore the power plan from HP.

You error looks like that some hardware driver is preventing you from Shutdown. I also see that HP do not offer any drivers for Windows 10. So identify all you hardware and look around for the right windows 10 drivers. Check also at http://www.station-drivers.com

HP Recommended

the hp elite 8300 sff/microtower (see link below) does not require any additional drivers, windows 10 has all necessary drivers included except for the Intel "AMT" remote access feature (com3 error) which should be disabled in the bios as it serves no function outside of a domain/business environment

your issue is related to something that went wrong during the win 7 to 10 upgrade. a clean reinstall of windows 10 will resolve your problem

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-compaq-elite-8300-small-form-factor-pc/5232852/manuals

last the elite elite 8300 ultra slim model is completely different from the sff/microtower model and i can't comment on that except to say it's based on more of a laptop design

HP Recommended

It doesn't matter what kind of Desktop u are using  "normal" or "SFF" . The fact is that HP doesn't offer any files for this in conjunction with Windows 10.

As i told before, look to your hardware devices and download every software for your SFF and update them or make a clean install. If you do not find any driver (I look into the files for Windows 8.1) and  in most cases you can use the files from 8.1, but all the listed device for 8.1 can be found on the net specially for windows 10. You should also look for a Intel chipset driver for this kind of motherboard. I do not know what ind of chipset this MoBo is using. Check it out.

HP Recommended

PureCut, you advice on drivers is not necessary as windows 10 will have all the required drivers for the 8300 and the included drivers will be newer than any win 8.x driver

when microsoft releases a new operating system they will include drivers for most of the then released motherboard chipsets and things like USB/SATA/Raid/onboard video and so on this has nothing to do with HP or what HP OS supported once windows is installed it will then look at the microsoft servers for any hardware driver upgrades and offer them for install or auto DL/Install them

the elite  8300 is fairly old, so only the intel video driver may be out of date all other drivers will be current

again, something in the Os is screwed, preventing a clean shutdown, and the quickest fix is a clean reinstall

HP Recommended

@DGroves wrote:

PureCut, you advice on drivers is not necessary as windows 10 will have all the required drivers for the 8300 and the included drivers will be newer than any win 8.x driver

when microsoft releases a new operating system they will include drivers for most of the then released motherboard chipsets and things like USB/SATA/Raid/onboard video and so on this has nothing to do with HP or what HP OS supported once windows is installed it will then look at the microsoft servers for any hardware driver upgrades and offer them for install or auto DL/Install them

the elite  8300 is fairly old, so only the intel video driver may be out of date all other drivers will be current

again, something in the Os is screwed, preventing a clean shutdown, and the quickest fix is a clean reinstall

I know this, but in some cases it help me to solve problems and not all the device drivers that MS installs must be the best and newest ones. He should make a new clean install. The machine will get is activation from MS again, because it's already activated.

HP Recommended

@Purecut

Yes this was an upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 20H2. First time I upgraded to Windows 10 2004.
It still had the shutdown problem. There was another issue in 2004 for some reason I got had this
problem a known problem.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/windows-10-bug-corrupts-your-hard-drive-on-seeing-thi...

So after having that issue I rolled back to Windows 7. Then I upgraded to Windows 10 20H2 and still have the shutdown
problem.

@DGroves

As for the drivers Windows 10 did not get all drivers. My system came from HP with a
AMD Radeon HD 7450. Windows 10 did NOT pick up the video driver. So I actually have
a disk from another AMD Radeon HD 7450 I used that driver disk to get real AMD drivers.
Also I personally don't think anything went wrong. I could be wrong I will try the clean
install. But I am not going to wipe out this install I will look for a spare drive.
Also why do you think the com port needs to be disabled? How do you know I do not use it?
BTW this is not a SFF system. This is a Compaq/HP 8300 Elite CMT model.
This system is actually brand new I got it last month it was a system that for some
reason was never used and sent to a recycle center. I was able to get it.
And It came in the HP box never opened. It had Windows 7 Pro 32 bit and only 4 GB memory.
I was able to get the HP Recovery DVD's 4 Disk and I used them to install Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit
The product key on the case is for 64 or 32 bit. I also upgraded the memory to 12 GB and
used the Recovery DVD's on a 256 GB SSD.
I will use the original hard drive to test a clean install. And also if I did not mention
I used snappy driver tool to get drivers because like I said Windows 10 did NOT
get all drivers. I will reply back and see if I still have the issue with the clean
install. But I still don't think the inplace upgrade caused the issue. Thanks for all
the help. Please don't be offended by my hard reply that is just the way I am.
I have worked with computers a long time and can usually fix problems myself
but this one has me stumped.

HP Recommended

Since I had a Acronis True Image backup from Yesterday I clean installed Windows 10 on the SSD. I can restore it back to the way it was.

So here is the deal I can shut down the system now. But another problem has arose. I have a second hard drive a 1 TB for storage that's where I have my backup stored. Because I tend to be clumsy sometimes when I clean installed Windows 10. I disconnected the 1 TB. 

After I got Windows 10 installed I connected it back up and Windows does not detect the drive. I have double checked the cables and double checked and the BIOS does detect the 1 TB. 

I have not connected to the Internet yet to get drivers seems like there was a intel controller on Windows Update but device manager shows IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller. This was not an issue with the upgrade from Windows 7. Like I said I have not checked Windows Update yet for anything. I am old school I disconnect from the Internet when I install Windows. And when Microsoft ask one million and one times for me to connect or to make an account I say no one million and one times. I am sure people can tell I am not a big fan of Windows 10. But it is what it is, Also this HP 8300 Elite is not my main system. I got it as a second system. I know there are way to fix these issues I just don 't understand why I am not seeing my 1 TB in Windows.

I posted I had that bug that causes drive to corrupt but that's not it because it was working before. I am going to have to do do some deep researching on these two issues. And I will add this as for the drivers Windows 10 got all the drivers except the serial LPT2 and PS2 keyboard. I do not want to disable those legacy ports I don't think they are causing the shutdown problem. Yes I am going to restore that image the Windows 10 upgrade. I hardly ever shut down and if I do I can reset then enter the bios and hit the power button. 

I still welcome any help to the issue though and again thanks for all the replies.

HP Recommended

BTW My product number is B9X20US#ABA.

HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT 

HP Recommended

@DGroves @Purecut

I think I figured out what the problem is. I tried to go back to Windows 7 I was going to try to upgrade to an earlier version just to check and see if I have the same shut down problem. 

But here is what happened I tried the option to go back to Windows 7. I got a message telling me I could not go back. I swear if this computer was a human I would punch it in the mouth.

So I used Acronis true image to restore a backup image. Don't tell me I cannot go back LOL, Anyway maybe I actually restored in Windows but something in Acronis does not like this HP maybe? It seems to mess up the BCD and corrupts the system partition. I tried something because I knew it was a problem before. Tapping F8 in Windows 7 get's you to the startup options but the screen resolution was smaller and for some reason restoring the backup made my partitions GPT not MBR I have not figured that out yet. 

So anyway I had to run HP recovery I tried to repair the BCD the system partition and I changed it to MBR by connecting to a USB adapter using Partition Mini Tool. 

Anyway I had to run the HP recovery and I knew it was slow shutting down in Windows 7. So after the recovery I uninstalled HP protect tools. 

Now the system does not shut down slow. I think HP Protect Tools was causing the shutdown issue in Windows 10 the whole time.

I am a upgrade person I do not want to clean install I like having some of the HP programs preinstalled. I have another question before I used HP Recovery while I had the drive connected to my main system I tried to access the user folder to get my files.

Either Windows 10 will not let me access that folder or maybe it was HP protect tools even though it was not enabled on that drive. But while connected to my main system I could not access the user folder. I have done this many many times on other computers I have never not been able to access the user folder also there is no Windows Password. So I had to use Hirens Boot USB to access files off that drive.

I could have used some Linux but I like Hirens better it's a Windows 10 PE. I just wanted to post that HP Protect Tools could have been causing the issue and would like to thank you for the help. I will post back after I upgrade again to Windows 10.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.