Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

Thanks for poking this thread, 'turnerjos'...

I continue to get email-bombed (usually at least 6 in a row) by my APC UPSes because one of our HP laptops insists on probing every device on our network.

The email alerts just compalin:

"Detected an unauthorized user attempting to access the SNMP interface from 192.168.77.10"

(The IP is the IP of the offending laptop)

These are not alerts I want to disable, since I want to know what is scanning/probing my network.

This is really unaccpetable.  There needs to be a way to disable this SNMP probing.

HP Recommended

We have just started seeing this in our Enterprise environment at a new site we turned up. This is completely unacceptable! Looks like it's time to remove the HP bloatware. I would have never put this junk software on, but my boss insists on it. I am thinking he may think again about that decision now that it is acting like malware!

HP Recommended

I am going to add to this as I have now had the same thing happen to me.

We have APC UPS devices with network management cards and we lock down the SNMP.  We are getting SNMP probes that alert us to devices with this software installed that get alerted to us.

There is no reason to do this by default.  Otherwise, our recommendation would be to uninstall the HP Support Assistant.  I am not going to disable the alerts from the network management cards.  The devices are working as they should.  This behavior is not sanctioned and we should have the ability to turn it off on the client.

HP Recommended

Maybe we're taking the wrong approach with HP.

We'll send this to the FTC, FCC and anyone else :

HP Scans customers networks without their knowledge.

Selling data to Cambridge Analytica

the next Facebook scandal? - find out at 11

HP Recommended

Jwckauman,

I'm having  a different but possibly a related problem with HP Support Assistant, not in functionality, but in that I'm very recently- about the last two weeks, having repeated notifications in Malwarebytes AdwCleaner 7.4 wanting to quarantine HP SA as adware / malware.  It's listed as: "Preinstalled software found:   Preinstalled.HPSupportAssistant.  It also lists "Preinstalled. LevovoPowerDVD / Cyberlink Corp", neither of which has never been previously listed as a vulnerability. 

Malwarebytes_AdwCleaner scan_8.15.19.jpg

This provides an option to quarantine HP SA and remove the HP SA software, which may or may not be a solution to those wishing to do so.  I have a simple network of only six devices on a switch and have not had any SNMP scans or similar notices.

Part of this seems to related to changing Antivirus software which is sending a pop up notification at every startup asking to scan the empty DVD drive.  This software is also very suspicious of complex activation keys. My initial conjecture was that this problem  is due to highly enthusiastic system protection software searching for potential system back doors, but in following this thread, there now seems there is justification for an adware / malware risk assessment.

BambiBoomZ

HP z620_2 (2017) (R7) > Xeon E5-1680 v2 (8-core@ 4.3GHz) / z420 Liquid Cooling / 64GB DDR3-1866 ECC Reg / Quadro P2000 5GB _ GTX 1070 Ti 8GB / HP Z Turbo Drive M.2 256GB AHCI + Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB + HGST 7K6000 4TB / Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 sound interface + 2X Mackie MR824 / 825W PSU /> HP OEM Windows 7 Prof.’l 64-bit > 2X Dell Ultrasharp U2715H (2560 X 1440)

[ Passmark Rating = 6280 / CPU rating = 17178 / 2D = 819 / 3D= 12629 / Mem = 3002 / Disk = 13751 / Single Thread Mark = 2368 [10.23.18]

HP z420_3: (2015) (R11) Xeon E5-1650 v2 (6C@ 4.3GHz) / z420 Liquid cooling / 32GB (HP/Samsung 4X 8GB DDR3-1866 ECC registered) / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB/ Samsung 860 EVO 500GB + HGST 4TB / ASUS Essence STX / Logitech z2300 2.1 / 600W PSU > Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (HP OEM ) > Samsung 40" 4K

[Passmark System Rating: = 5644 / CPU = 15293 / 2D = 847 / 3D = 10953 / Mem = 2997 Disk = 4858 /Single Thread Mark = 2384 [6.27.19]

Netgear GS108-400NAS

HP Recommended

I just spoke with a HP rep.  They say to disable updates in HP Support Assistant and that will stop the scanning of network.

We get the Detected an unauthorized user attempting to access the SNMP interface constantly. 

I'll touch base back if this doesn't resolve the issue.

HP Recommended

That actually doesn't help, we have gotten a nice couple of new batches of HP 255 G7 laptops that as soon as they are booted, within a few mins to a few hours, they start polling and we get the same thing. If it's disabled, it should be disabled, not lets sneak it into the  background!

Polls the network anywhere from 3 to 4 times at a clip and up to multiple times a day at this point until we move it off the network to another branch. Our branch we have desktops that don't do it, but laptops seem to love to do it. Lenovo's, no issues ... so laptop users at our branch all have Lenovo's now .... to stop the annoying laptop polls waking us at 3am when it randomly polls.

HP Recommended

The only way I have been able to stop this is to uninstall the HP Support Assistant  is by  searching for "remove a program" which takes you to "apps & features" where you can click on the HP SUpport assistant and then uninstall.  It is not uninstallable from add/remove programs (control panel).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.