Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
XW6400
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi all, hope you can help.

I've been happily running a XW6400 workstation (E5345 with dual Xeon quad core processors @2.33GHz) and Windows 7 Professional, together with 3 monitors, for around 5 years.  I have relatively light usage (I'm not a gamer etc.), but use multiple browser windows, MS Office, Outlook and need to view some technical charts.  So performance of a graphics card isn't the highest priority, however the ability to run 3 (or 4) monitors is.

When Windows 10 was first released, I tried the upgrade, it failed because my graphics card (Nvidia Quadro NVS 440) is not compatible with W10.  So I rolled back to W7 and left it.

As the deadline for W7 updates is rapidly approaching next month, I'm now considering what my upgrade options are.  I'm happy to buy a cheap graphics card off Ebay, but would like to know which one do people have experience of that would definitely be compatible with this workstation and with W10?

Any views appreciated.

thanks

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

any consumer card up to the 600 series will work the later cards are UEFI compatible bios and most likely will not work

none of the consumer cards you need to use are available new, so you will have to buy used

The Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 Ti, which can drive four displays, packs dual DVI ports as well as solitary DisplayPort and HDMI connections is a option provided your monitors have the necessary video inputs

on the quadro side, the nvs 510 is still available new and has current driver support from w/7 to win/10  using it's 4 display port connections

https://www.nvidia.com/object/nvs-510-graphics-card#pdpContent=1

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us&QNF=1

HP Recommended

Here is my current favorite Quadro card for the xw6400... the Quadro K2000.  We've moved up from those workstations but I also use that same card in in our souped up ZX20 and ZX40 workstations.  They work great under W7Pro64 and W10Pro64.  They're still supported with new W7 and W10 drivers.  We run 2 cards in each box, for 4 monitors total, from the two PCIe x16 slots.  These are work cards, not gaming cards, and not currently the best for 3D plasmaholographic engineers, but great for our needs.  The price is right.

Video cards have been getting much faster while using less power.  Best of both worlds.  The xw6400's secondary PCIe x16 slot feeds only 52W up from the slot to the video card (that spec is in the manual).  The Primary slot instead feeds up 75W.  Guess what?  Each Quadro K2000 only needs 51W.  You can find these used off eBay for about $40.00 each including shipping.  

Get back in touch if you need video cable tips.... the xw6400 needs a little attention for the top card due to the case design.  We use the primary DVI port (bottom one) and the next up DisplayPort with a HP DP-to-DVI adapter.  You'd want the BizLink made one from HP because its card end plug just fits.  The Foxconn ones don't only because of the case design for the xw6400.  They fit all other HP workstation video cards in the top video slot..

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.