Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
z240
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

We have 30 pcs of HP z240, i7-7700k 4.2 ghz.

All of them have problems randomly when we reboot or power on.

Sympthoms:

Sometimes when you start the computer, nothing happens. Solution is to turn off and try again, sometimes it starts after one turn off, and sometimes you need to turn it off plenty of times.

Sometimes the same happen when you do a restart. (for example after software install). 

Sometimes it stuck before the HP "Sure start" logo, and sometimes its only black.

Very annoying. Have installed the latest BIOS and ME firmware.

Heeeelp!

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

bad /failing power supplies or bad power lines (low voltage are the cause of most no power on/restart issues

HP Recommended

The power is good.

Have had the same problem when I had the computers on other geographic locations.

Frustrating.

HP Recommended

and just how do you know the power supply is good?

and how do you know that the power line doe s not suffer from low voltage/ or power spikes?

HP Recommended

we dont have that kind of problems with power in Sweden

and all of my other models work well, Hp z220, z4, z6

only problems with our z240’s

HP Recommended

i just want you to know the here in the US, even with having battery backup/conditioning equipment installed we seem to be unable to match sweeden and still have failing power supplies and also having many other systems working fails to protect  several of the remaining systems from having power issues for some reasion....... due to this we are forced to actually test the systems power supplies to rule out any hardware related problems before we turn to troubleshooting software related issues

such as looking at the windows log files or checking if the z240's  has software loaded that the others do not

HP Recommended

Have been working with HP workstations since xw8000. This is the first model that behave like this. Something is wrong with this model.

Can it mabye be something with this new Sure Start thing that mess up the startup?   

(but our z4 & z6's has also Sure Start, and have no reboot/boot problems)   

HP, fix this asap. (and I cant be the only one in the world with this problem...?)  My collegue has also z240 machines without this problems, but he has 3.x ghz...all of ours is 4.2 ghz. Must have happen something with this configuration...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.