Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

Hi, 

I want to upgrade my existing HP Z400 from current W3503 to something more powerfull. I don't want invest a lot of money and choosing between two options:

1) Intel Xeon W3550 + high performance heatsink 463981-001

2) Intel Xeon X5650 or X5660

I'm not sure about second option, as I understand from this forum high performance heatsink required for CPU >95W, X5650 exectly 95W. My second concern is mother board support of this CPU, I have seen several offers of Z400 with X5650 CPU, but I didn't find any documentation. 

I didn't find any information about X5650/X5660 CPU in quickspec guide, but I saw several advertisement of Z400 with this CPU on eBay.

I will appreciate any help or advice.

Evgeny

36 REPLIES 36
HP Recommended

Evgeny_D, does your Z400 have 4 or 6 memory DIMM connectors on the motherboard?

I am an HP Employee.
My opinions are my own, and do not express those of HP.

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you problem was solved. This helps other forum readers.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have 6 memory DIMMs on the motherboard.

Evgeny

HP Recommended

Evgeny, Z400 boards with 6 memory DIMMs support both 35xx, 55xx (Nehalem) and 36xx, 56xx (Westmere) processors.  The difference between the 3xxx and 5xxx processors is that the 5xxx have additional QPI links for dual processor configurations.  Some 3xxx processors have the same performance as the 5xxx processors.  The 36xx or 56xx series will have more performance than the older series.  Look at this benchmark page for a comparison between CPU performance.  However, processors with more cores score higher on these PassMark benchmarks - look up single thread performance if your applications are not multithreaded. 

The Z400 is a single CPU system, so the 5xxx processors might be more expensive than the similar 3xxx processor. 

**  I am talking about the 3xxx and 5xxx processors in very general terms.  **

**  I am not saying that the Zx00 workstations will work with all processors in the Nehalem and Westmere family **

Use CPUs that are listed in the HP QuickSpecs, since these are guaranteed to be tested and compatible with the HP BIOs. 

What I meant to say is that your 6 DIMM socket Z400 shipped with many different processor choices, including single socket CPUs, and Nehalem and Westmere CPUs.  If you are going to replace the processor, the Westmeres are higher performance.  Just FYI. 

As an HP employee, I cannot recommend or guarantee any processors that were not certified by HP (and listed in the HP Quick Specs), but there are many CPUs (look at the QuickSpecs) that are certified in your Z400. 

I am an HP Employee.

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you problem was solved. This helps other forum readers.
HP Recommended

Dan,

Your response indicates that what I have been posting here over the years may have been partially or fully incorrect..... that a processor that is not specifically in the "microcode" listing part of BIOS for a HP workstation will not boot up even if it logically could/should.  That is, a processor needs to be in that list or it simply will not work.  That has been my experience every time I have tried to go forwards or backwards with processors not in the QuickSpec listings that "should" logically boot up.

Perhaps that was true for prior xw workstations?  And not now with the Z workstations?  If what you imply is correct then I need to change my advice and recommend trying processors that are not and never have been in the QuickSpecs for a HP workstation.

Thanks for a clarification in advance,

Scott

EDIT 9/5/16:  I can confirm now that Dan_WGBU again is correct.  There are in fact some processors that will work in a HP workstation that never were in the QuickSpecs for that computer.  I have been running a X5690 in my Version 2 (the later boot block date one with 6 memory slots) Z400 workstation without any issues now since 4/16, and it runs rock solid with very high performance.  As Dan has advised, it is best to run 6 matched sticks of memory for best memory performance, so either 2GB or 4GB sticks seem reasonable.  Here are the Windows 7 Pro 64-bit OS Windows Experience Index scores for this workstation:

Z400 X5690 GTX650 TI Boost.jpg

HP Recommended

Scott, I was talking about the processors in very general terms.  My response was too general, actually, and was confusing.  I edited my post. 

I was suggesting that the original poster should consider a Westmere processor, that is listed on the HP QuickSpecs, rather than getting an older Nehalem, because the Westmeres are higher performance.

You are correct, going "forwards or backwards" with processors not in the QuickSpecs is not a good idea, because they might not boot at all. 

Edit on 10/14/2015:  Westmere = Intel 36xx or 56xx Xeons, Nehalem = Intel 35xx or 55xx Xeons.  Sorry if using Intel code names, even though they are in the public domain, causes confusion. 

I am an HP Employee.

HP Recommended

I have several Z400's on my site we upgraded to run Ansys 16  we installed 48gigs of ECC ddr3 1333mhz ram using 6 8 gig ecc dimms and was able to use the Xeon X5690 cpu.  using the default fan that came with the original Xeon 3.3ghz W  cpu I can see a big performance increase using that cpu we ordered them off of amazon they are pretty inexpensive now and give this older workstation 4th gen i7 performance having the 6 cores with 32gb of memory bandwith using the tripple channel memory controller

HP Recommended

Hi chaps,

And what about 4 dimm (GEN1) Z400 motherboards, on regards cpu support?

I have been trying to find around some info and there is nothing clear.

Can anyone provide feedback?

Thanks in advance!

HP Recommended

The 4 DIMM slot Z400 motherboards support only the Intel W35xx series CPUs.  They do not support the W36xx series CPUs.  The boot block on the 4 DIMM motherboard supports the W35xx CPUs only, and it cannot be updated.  There are several threads on this. 

The 55xx series are the same type as the 35xx, but have an extra QPI link to enable dual CPU operation.  They are used on the Z600 and Z800, which are dual socket CPUs.  They are much more expensive, for that reason.  HP does not officially these dual socket CPUs on the Z400.  If you look up benchmarks, you will find that the 35xx processor performs as well as the identically named 55xx processor.  FYI.

I am an HP Employee.

HP Recommended

Hi. I bought a HP Z400 for secondary PC. I have 4dimm memory slot. What cpus supported in my mobo? What is the max cpu? What is the different in 4dimm or 6dimm mobo. May you help me? Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.