Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Already tried, makes it even worst, no POST after changing to UEFI.

I was able to try Slot 5 with a PCIe Riser and there it works but not nearly perfect, often get "Suprise Link Down"-Error.

I think the motherboard has a issue with PCIe 3.0, Slot 2 completely broken and Slot 5 partialy broken, on PCIe 2.0 its working fine.

Too bad...

HP Recommended

Interesting.  I wonder if it is just that particular card if other PCIe 3.0 cards work.  Unfortunately, I don't know if others do or not.

HP Recommended

Yes, other PCie 3.0 cards up to x8 (physically) are working fine, only card that utilize more than x8 physically are causing problems.

I also tried to limit the speed of Slot 2 and 5 to PCIe 3.0 x8 but that also does not change the problem, it has something to do with the physical connection.

HP Recommended

That's a bummer. 😞  I wonder if it is just that motherboard or an overall design issue?

HP Recommended

I would guess its the motherboard because i tested the card with a second Z420 (exactly the same revision) and there everything is working fine.

So sooner or later, if i want maximum perfomance, i will have to replace the motherboard...

HP Recommended

Ah bummer. 😞  Well, at least it isn't a systematic problem and you know the exact issue.  Thank you for posting the root cause!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.