Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z600

Hello everybody

So I attempted to build the HP z600 Workstation with a Motherboard I bought and CPU and memory which I got from my company when they wanted to throw out some hardware. I also bought the original case, powersupply and one of the listed graphics cards. 

My problem now is, that I don't get any video output from the graphics card. I already tried a few.

I also had a great discussion with someone on reddit about v1 and v2 of the z600 motherboard. I'm using Intel Xeon X5675 and also got registered ecc ram which should be supported by the v2 board apparently have a v2 motherboard. There is a sticker on the mb sp#591184-001 which indicates it's a version 2 board. Unfortunatly I can't verify that in the bios bc I can't get video output.

I’ve got this memory: MICRON MT36KSF1G72PZ-1G4M1HE 8GB (1X8GB) 1333MHZ PC3-10600R CL9 ECC DUAL RANK REGISTERED DDR3 SDRAM 204-PIN DIMM MEMORY

I checked the specs of the memory and for me and also the guy from reddit agreed it should be fine. Unless of course I have a v1 board where registered memory isn’t supported.

I checked each memory dimm and not one had an error.

Do the specs look good for you or did we miss something? I also tested every ram stick witch one cpu in the first socket. But everything seems fine. So the motherboard maybe is faulty or not functioning properly. I'm planning on getting an Intel X5570 to check if maybe the motherboard is a v1 and not a v2 as sticker says and I belive. But then I would also need unregistered/unbuffered memory.

I just want to be sure that it's not the memory before I would buy a v2 mainboard and then realise I've spent money on another mainboard when it's actually the memory 

When I boot up everything seems fine I get no beeping error. The case fans start to spin also the ones on the graphics card. 

Any ideas,thoughts or tipps?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

do you have a speaker connected to hear the post startup beep codes?

do you have a power led light connected to see the light emitted startup error codes?

if not, download the HP service manual for the z600 and connect both i recommend you simply use the real HP Power/front I/O cables that can be bought off of ebay

HP Recommended

Thanks for your answer.

Yes the speaker is hooked up. There are no beeping sounds... The powerled is just blue.

I got the original case so I got the orginal speaker and also the front panel.

It starts everything is fine but I don't get any video output no matter which gpu I tried.

HP Recommended

no beeps or flashing power light means the bios passed all critical self tests, but may be paused on a press "F1" prompt if the original HP pwr (fans will ramp up to full speed if not used) and front panel I/O cables (front audio/usb) are not connected gives a 921 error on post and boot stops with message to press F1 key 

the z600 does not use a normal ATX supply, it's a custom 18 pinout if using the stock supply do a "BST" test on the unit

read the service manual on how to do this (troubleshooting section)

HP Recommended

Okay but shouldn't the video already be up and show me the post screen or at least, that I have to press F1?

I'm not using stock coolers. All the front panel I/O cables are plugged in.

I already did the BIST test on the unit when I got the powersupply and the LED is green so it should be fine.

I also now plugged in a keyboard and tried to press F1.

How long should it take to boot?

HP Recommended

i would replace the cpu with the cheapest lowest mhz one you can find on ebay and also buy a non ECC memory stick

both items sourced from ebay should be under 30.00 usd total cost including shipping

HP Recommended

I already got a x5570 incase I got a revision 1 motherboard. But with my x5675 and the x5570 both not working I think it's the memory so I'm looking to get a non ecc memory stick a original one.

Hopefully the motherboard is not faulty.

The lowest CPU would be the Intel Xeon E5504 right?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.