Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z620
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi Everyone!

I got a second hand HP Z620 recently. I've upgraded the gpu to GTX 1070Ti (MSI AERO Blower Style Fan) . In Furmark stress test it's stable at 84 C on base clock. How can I bring down the temp because I rather it run in lower temp because I use it for rendering and high performance needed stuff and I might need to overclock it too.

Thanks,
Sina

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

not recomended, what you have to understand is that these systems are "Workstations" as such hp spent much time tuning the case size fan size/speed, number of fans, placement of fans,... and then did the same with the power supply

and the motherboard layout as such the airflow path is a carefully thought thing and add a pcie slot fan like you linked to can actually disrupt the airflow causing hotspots in the case it's for this reasion that adding parts like this usually decreases the performance of a workstation

if you want more rendering speed, then  open up the purse and spend for a 1080 or a telsa card

and re-read what i wrote, i said UP TO a 10% increase at best, the actual increase you will see when overclocking is usually around 3%-5%

the reasion the increases are usually so small is that nowadays nvidia cards monitor the cpu watts/voltage/frequency

themselves and auto clock themselves if possible manually overclocking is either not possible, or extremely risky on the high end models that do bypass the safty checks of the auto circuits

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

well lets see,...you have the highest power draw 1070 card made (the "TI" version) and you are running it in the smallest dual cpu workstation case HP makes (the z620) and you want to further stress the system by overclocking the video card

have i missed anything?

time for a reality check,.........your z620 case will not take watercooling it's just to small and has almost no free space

you also can't add more fans as again there is no free space to add any more fans

84C in furmark is quite good as no other program will apply anywhere near the extreme loads furmark does

bottom line, you have no problems unless you do try to overclock

so save yourself all the headaches in trying to get under 10% more performance at the cost of long term system stability

HP Recommended

Thanks for reply!
Well in my case 10% more power means a lot, for example it means finishing frame render sooner for even just like 4 seconds, when I'm rendering 600 frames that's huge!
What do you think about these products?
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835119066&ignorebbr=1
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835888112&ignorebbr=1

HP Recommended

not recomended, what you have to understand is that these systems are "Workstations" as such hp spent much time tuning the case size fan size/speed, number of fans, placement of fans,... and then did the same with the power supply

and the motherboard layout as such the airflow path is a carefully thought thing and add a pcie slot fan like you linked to can actually disrupt the airflow causing hotspots in the case it's for this reasion that adding parts like this usually decreases the performance of a workstation

if you want more rendering speed, then  open up the purse and spend for a 1080 or a telsa card

and re-read what i wrote, i said UP TO a 10% increase at best, the actual increase you will see when overclocking is usually around 3%-5%

the reasion the increases are usually so small is that nowadays nvidia cards monitor the cpu watts/voltage/frequency

themselves and auto clock themselves if possible manually overclocking is either not possible, or extremely risky on the high end models that do bypass the safty checks of the auto circuits

HP Recommended

Hi gryphiz,

I use my Z620 quite a bit for rendering, e.g. Maya, Redshift, Octane, SolidWorks Visualize, etc., or should I say my son does mostly.

You might be interested in what I have done with my HP Z620 to max. out its rendering performance . . .

To start with;

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/SOLVED-Quadro-P200...

Then I added liquid cooling and replaced with E5-2667 v2 CPU with a E5-1680 v2 CPU which can be overclocked. 

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/How-does-your-HP-w...

In my case, all the rendering programs or plug-ins I use are GPU based render engines, so CPU single threaded performance is more important to me than the number of CPU cores. (Obviously, CPU based render engines, e.g. Photoview, benefit significantly with 2 CPU's and maximum core count).

Needless to say, rendering speeds are extremely fast. Even after 11+ hours of 100% GPU load, (i.e. rendering a 1080P animation), the GTX card hovers around the 55 - 58°C range.

Just giving a different perspective . . .

HP Z620 - Liquid Cooled E5-1680v2 @4.7GHz / 64GB Hynix PC3-14900R 1866MHz / GTX1080Ti FE 11GB / Quadro P2000 5GB / Samsung 256GB PCIe M.2 256GB AHCI / Passmark 9.0 Rating = 7147 / CPU 17461 / 2D 1019 / 3D 14464 / Mem 3153 / Disk 15451 / Single Threaded 2551
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.