cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
SparkyTech934
Level 1
5 2 1 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Solved!

HP Z640 XMP support?

HP Recommended
HP Z640
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello.  I just bought a used HP Z640 workstation and I wanted to upgrade the RAM in the machine.  Currently the machine has:

• 2 sticks of Samsung M393A1K43BB1-CTD6Y
    • 8GB per DIMM for total of 16GB in the system
    • Registered ECC
    • Rated for 2666MHz

While looking for RAM options online, I started to wonder if the RAM currently installed in the system was even being used to its full potential.  I have the following questions:

• What is the maximum supported frequency of RAM for my HP Z640?
  • Does the machine have XMP support?

For reference, the system currently has 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620v3 CPUs installed, and the BIOS is version 2.57 (May 2021).

Thanks in advance for your time!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DGroves
Level 11
4,769 4,048 449 925
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

xmp is a non official method to overclock ram, as such it is not supported by HP on servers/workstations where stability is paramount

ram speed is set by the motherboards chipset and cpu installed,  lower end cpu's will have a slower ram speed limit compared to a highend cpu

check the HP z640 quickspecs for supported cpu's/ram module speeds

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-z640-workstation/6978835/document/c04496994

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
2 REPLIES 2
DGroves
Level 11
4,769 4,048 449 925
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

xmp is a non official method to overclock ram, as such it is not supported by HP on servers/workstations where stability is paramount

ram speed is set by the motherboards chipset and cpu installed,  lower end cpu's will have a slower ram speed limit compared to a highend cpu

check the HP z640 quickspecs for supported cpu's/ram module speeds

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-z640-workstation/6978835/document/c04496994

View solution in original post

SparkyTech934
Author
Level 1
5 2 1 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thanks for the information, it pretty much confirms what I was thinking before I even posted, just thought I'd check around with others.  I actually found a great deal on Newegg on some Crucial RDIMMs, 8GB DDR4-2133.  They were $26.96, brand new.  Couldn't believe my luck!  It was outside my budget, but I spent the money on 8 sticks.  Worth taking advantage of.  Anyways, thanks again!

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation