Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z800
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Z800 BIOS Update from V1.17

Current Bios: 786G5 v01.17
Boot Block Date: 01/30/09

By doing my research, I believe that I can't installed the latest BIOS that is, 3.61 Rev A. Until I update to v2. or at least v3.07? I will appreciate any help that I can get. Thanks a lot in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

since HP does not list any prerequisites  for the latest 3.61 bios update in the included docs,  you can do a 1.17 to 3.61 bios update

note that since you have a 1.17 bios, that tells me you have a v1.0/1.02 gen 1 motherboard that can only use the v55xx xeons not the later 56xx series which requires the gen 2 board rev 003

the below is from a previous post by "SDH" please read, and substitute the 3.57 references for the latest 3.61 bios

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When you update BIOS from within BIOS you're doing that before any OS or other programs get involved.  So, google search for Z800 drivers, and go to the HP list of downloads for that, BIOS section.  I see 2 items there, the 03.57 bios download itself, and the BIOS Utilities.  Download the BIOS updater (sp63463), and ignore the BIOS Utilities.

Next step... and you can do this on any HP workstation, not just your Z800.  Run the sp63463..... it will unpack and likely will launch into a document that allows updating BIOS from within windows.  Quit out of that, and if it asks if things installed properly answer yes.  The process will have installed on the root level of your C drive a folder called SWSETUP.  Go into that and find SP63463, and open that.  Go to the DOS_Flash folder in there and copy only 7G5_0357.bin to a freshly formatted thumb drive with nothing else on it.  I usually throw away the SP folder when done.

My builds shows the extension (.bin in this case) because in my Control panel settings I have Folders View tab options set to show extensions of known file types.  If yours is not set that way you probably will only see 7G5_0357 there along with the other 6 items.

Now, shut down.  Insert the thumb drive into a black USB 2 drive port instead of a blue USB 3 port if your workstation has both types (yours does not).  I use the top USB port out front.  Boot up, F10 into BIOS, go to the first tab at the top (it is named File), drag down to Flash System ROM, and your BIOS should detect the USB stick and likely a floppy drive option even if you have no floppy present.  Pick the USB option, press F10, and things will proceed automatically from there.

When the BIOS flash is done I like to back out of BIOS, and fully power down.  Then boot up.  You may have new options available for you in BIOS, and also the hidden "microcode" updates that come with some BIOS updates may allow you to run newer processors that you could not run before.  You won't be able to run ones that require a new motherboard revision if you happen to have the older motherboard version.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

since HP does not list any prerequisites  for the latest 3.61 bios update in the included docs,  you can do a 1.17 to 3.61 bios update

note that since you have a 1.17 bios, that tells me you have a v1.0/1.02 gen 1 motherboard that can only use the v55xx xeons not the later 56xx series which requires the gen 2 board rev 003

the below is from a previous post by "SDH" please read, and substitute the 3.57 references for the latest 3.61 bios

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When you update BIOS from within BIOS you're doing that before any OS or other programs get involved.  So, google search for Z800 drivers, and go to the HP list of downloads for that, BIOS section.  I see 2 items there, the 03.57 bios download itself, and the BIOS Utilities.  Download the BIOS updater (sp63463), and ignore the BIOS Utilities.

Next step... and you can do this on any HP workstation, not just your Z800.  Run the sp63463..... it will unpack and likely will launch into a document that allows updating BIOS from within windows.  Quit out of that, and if it asks if things installed properly answer yes.  The process will have installed on the root level of your C drive a folder called SWSETUP.  Go into that and find SP63463, and open that.  Go to the DOS_Flash folder in there and copy only 7G5_0357.bin to a freshly formatted thumb drive with nothing else on it.  I usually throw away the SP folder when done.

My builds shows the extension (.bin in this case) because in my Control panel settings I have Folders View tab options set to show extensions of known file types.  If yours is not set that way you probably will only see 7G5_0357 there along with the other 6 items.

Now, shut down.  Insert the thumb drive into a black USB 2 drive port instead of a blue USB 3 port if your workstation has both types (yours does not).  I use the top USB port out front.  Boot up, F10 into BIOS, go to the first tab at the top (it is named File), drag down to Flash System ROM, and your BIOS should detect the USB stick and likely a floppy drive option even if you have no floppy present.  Pick the USB option, press F10, and things will proceed automatically from there.

When the BIOS flash is done I like to back out of BIOS, and fully power down.  Then boot up.  You may have new options available for you in BIOS, and also the hidden "microcode" updates that come with some BIOS updates may allow you to run newer processors that you could not run before.  You won't be able to run ones that require a new motherboard revision if you happen to have the older motherboard version.

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot DGRoves.  I already took care of this.  And from going from 1.17 to 3.61 on this HP Z800, it worked like a charm.  Thanks a lot non the less.  But i might need your help on a HP Z840 in the near future.  I know that you are a great contributor in this forum.  I am learning as I go to fix HP Workstations, and I will post the issues that I am having with the HP Z840 in the next couple of hours.  Thanks a lot and have a great night/day!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.