Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z820

Dear all,

I have an HP Z820 Workstation and it seems that the Fans from the CPU & Memory Fan Module are not connected correctly.

When the CPU Temp goes up the FAN from the Memory FAN2 and 3 goes up, the CPU Fans are still at 500 and 800rpm.

Here are a picture with the FAN Numbers - so FAN1 is connected to the plug1 and so on:

I can't find any documentation about the FAN Module - so I hope someone can help to find the correct connection.

Thanks,
Ingo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I found the correct connector for the fans:

Fan1 - connector 3

Fan2 - connector 4

Fan3 -connector 1

Fan4 - connector 6

Fan5 - connector 2 (cpu0 fan)

Fan6 - connector 5 (cpu1 fan)

In my case the Fan5 was defect - so, I replaced the fan with a new one, connect everything correctly and now it works as it should.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

all the fans have seperate wires that go to the plug (next to fan 3) you will note this plug can move slightly, this is by design.

if you are not placing the shroud so it sits flush against the case then the spot where the plug is may not be making proper contact with the mating plug on the motherboard.

you can check this by leaving the side cover off starting the system and gently pushing down in the area where the fan plug is located (close to the middle external 5.25 bay) it's best to have a program like hwinfo64 running that can monitor each of the fans

HP Recommended

Thanks. All fans are connected and working. But i think someone change the order of the Connection from the Fans to the Plug with the Numbers 1 - 6 - all these little plugs are connect to the one large Plug.

So, i‘m able to Monitor the Fans - if the temp from the CPU increases the Fan Memory 2 and 3 Turn up but the CPU Fan 1 and 2 are still constand (low).

I Need to know which fan (fan 1-6)  to which connection (Plug 1-6).

this is the current  config:

fan1 - plug1

fan2 - plug2

fan3 - plug3

fan4 - plug4

fan5 - plug5

fan6 - plug6

HP Recommended

I found the correct connector for the fans:

Fan1 - connector 3

Fan2 - connector 4

Fan3 -connector 1

Fan4 - connector 6

Fan5 - connector 2 (cpu0 fan)

Fan6 - connector 5 (cpu1 fan)

In my case the Fan5 was defect - so, I replaced the fan with a new one, connect everything correctly and now it works as it should.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.