Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z840
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have an HP Z840 with an NVIDIA K5200 video card. The problem I have is that when I enable  video Bios as UEFI the system won’t boot, blank screen. I then have to boot with another video card (GTX 1050 TI) to revert back the BIOS setting as legacy.

The K5200 is an HP.

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

i suspect the k5200 should support UEFI/legacy , the 1050 is a legacy/UEFI device

install both cards while in uefi mode (with the 5200 being a secondary display device)

does the OS see both cards?

use a program like GPU-z to check both cards

HP Recommended

Hi,

the K5200 specs says the card support UEFI. I had a K6000 before that was working in UEFI mode in a Z820. When I would take that card in a Z840 I would get the same problem, no boot and blank screen in UEFI mode.

BTW, I get the same problem when I enable Secure boot.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

I've the same problem and I bought a new motherboard due to this error.
Re: Secure Boot on HP z840 - HP Support Community - 8115570
I thought that motherboard is broken after testing two graphics cards (K5200 & M5000) with the same result.

HP Recommended

Hi,

yes very strange same card (HP K6000 and K5200) that works in UEFI in a Z820 and not in a Z840. I tried it in 3 differents Z840 with the same result. Even stranger that a low end PNY GTX 1050 TI) works.

HP Recommended

you are right, I borrowed a NV gtx 1060 and I can start normally with secure boot, but not with Original Nvidia Quadro's o.O

HP Recommended

The K5200 is a supported configuration with the Z840. I really wonder what we are missing here, a BIOS parameter, video BIOS update?

HP Recommended

you need a clean 64 bit windows, INSTALLED with secure boot enabled in the bios and GPT format enabled leave CSM disabled in the bios

you may also need to reset/remove the existing secure boot keys from the bios using the reset key option once done then try setting the video bios to uefi mode and proceed with a clean GPT windows install

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnBaHwwI7D4

HP Recommended

Hi,

there is no possibly to boot from anything when video is set to UEFI mode (or secure boot is enabled). No post, no BIOS message, nothing just a blank screen. So no way to install Windows 10, beside, Windows 10 is already installed in GPT / UEFI mode. In order for me to bring back video legacy mode I have to install a GTX 1050 TI so I can access the Workstation  BIOS. I’m open for any suggestions.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

HP PCs - Secure Boot (Windows 10) | HP® Customer Support

Secure Boot settings for business notebooks and workstations

Hello,

after the step highlighted in red, the boot screen where I must enter a random PIN, does not show up with my original HP Quadro M5000. > Due to, no signal! (But it does with an GTX 1060)

6. Select the Main tab, select Save Changes and Exit, and then click Yes to display a PIN

7. Type the PIN, and then press Enter
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.