Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Hi i see that windows 11 is out but the system is not able to update to windows 11

it only fails on the cpu. i have Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700T CPU @ 2.80GHz

is there anyone facing the same issue? did you try updating to windows 11?

Kind regards,

Niels

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, Niels:

This does not necessarily mean you can't install W11 on your PC, but you would have to perform a clean install and reinstall all of your programs and files.

If you want to see if W11 works on your PC, you can make a bootable W11 USB installer from the link below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows11

See this article.  3rd headline from the bottom.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsofts-windows-11-how-to-get-it-now-or-later/?ftag=TREc64629f&bhid...

If for some reason, W11 does not work correctly on your PC, you can reinstall W10.

I currently have W11 clean installed on two PC's that I have, that do not meet the requirements for the W11 upgrade and they both work fine on W11 so far.

I used the free Macrium Reflect software to make system images of the W10 installation before I installed W11.

You may want to do the same. 

Make a system image using Macrium reflect, and if W11 doesn't work right, you can easily go back to your current W10 installation.

You save the image on a portable hard drive and the software will have you make a bootable USB flash drive or DVD you boot from to access the system image stored on the portable hard drive.

Macrium Software | Reflect Free Edition

You want the file listed on the left side of the webpage under the Backup at Home section.

Yesterday was Microsoft's 'Patch Tuesday,' and I had heard about the possibility that Microsoft would not offer the monthly security updates to PC's that did not meet the W11 hardware requirements.

Both of my non-supported W11 PC's got the all of the security updates yesterday, so that is good news.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi, Niels:

This does not necessarily mean you can't install W11 on your PC, but you would have to perform a clean install and reinstall all of your programs and files.

If you want to see if W11 works on your PC, you can make a bootable W11 USB installer from the link below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows11

See this article.  3rd headline from the bottom.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsofts-windows-11-how-to-get-it-now-or-later/?ftag=TREc64629f&bhid...

If for some reason, W11 does not work correctly on your PC, you can reinstall W10.

I currently have W11 clean installed on two PC's that I have, that do not meet the requirements for the W11 upgrade and they both work fine on W11 so far.

I used the free Macrium Reflect software to make system images of the W10 installation before I installed W11.

You may want to do the same. 

Make a system image using Macrium reflect, and if W11 doesn't work right, you can easily go back to your current W10 installation.

You save the image on a portable hard drive and the software will have you make a bootable USB flash drive or DVD you boot from to access the system image stored on the portable hard drive.

Macrium Software | Reflect Free Edition

You want the file listed on the left side of the webpage under the Backup at Home section.

Yesterday was Microsoft's 'Patch Tuesday,' and I had heard about the possibility that Microsoft would not offer the monthly security updates to PC's that did not meet the W11 hardware requirements.

Both of my non-supported W11 PC's got the all of the security updates yesterday, so that is good news.

HP Recommended

thanks for sharing your experience. I thinjk that  intel i7 processor should be doing the job. They are mention indeed that unsupported pc's will not receive updtates but from your experience i hope it will continue. Thanks for your quick reply and your links !

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

Hi,

myself actually put up some same question back in July, here the link:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/HP-Elite-Slice-Win...

So...with the now already given info from users and MS itself:

The update itself wont work as mentioned, or at least not in some good manner as "compatible" machines, so yes you have to simply create some bootable stick with the Win 11 Media creation tool, simple and easy to use, just have to backup data for sure.

Best thing first, HP Elite Slice has TPM 2.0 even in its G1 series, some with 6th gen do have not, even most i need to say, more chipset related. With that being said, there should be just the performance downgrade of maybe around 10-15% depending on scenario and use case which is may a non-factor.

MS admitted that simply the mandatory security functions require more performance on CPUs which are not in the compatible list, so like all CPUs below 8th gen, you can find some articles about that in the internet. 

However with yourelf having some i7 CPU, it should be OK and maybe nothing which you really feel, also MS may fixing and improving things over time.

In regards to Win updates itself, i can really really not imagine that those non-compatible machines do not receive updates....really.

First wave of security updates came already and those got them as well, same will be for feature updates I guess. MS cant make some cut here, its simply not realisitic, unless they really want to get even more bad press.

They dont want to have another Vista or Win8, i mean Win 10 is still great and Win11 may just another MacOS design approach....benefits of W11 compared to W10 are "meh".

Ultimately, myself will update my HP Elite Slice within next 30 days after I upgrade my laptop which is compatible.

Driver wise I think there will be no big issue, even Elite Slice came back in Win 7 days, but some and most drivers from back then are still doing good, luckily.

Feel free to ping me with your experience once W11 is installed on your Elite Slice, or if you want to have my experience once I am done with that.
I do have the G2 version with some i7-7700T (upgraded CPU from i5) and plan to use it for at least 2 more years.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi:

I found this way on the internet to do an in-place upgrade yesterday, and it worked like a champ.

How to Bypass TPM and CPU Requirements for Windows 11 Upgrade on Unsupported PC - HELLPC

You just have to accept the agreement that comes up during the upgrade process about your PC not meeting the requirements, etc., etc..

My PC got all of the W11 updates. 

However, I don't know how long that will continue, or what will happen when the new build of W11 comes out next year in October.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.