Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

Howdy.  I won the above mentioned box, and I was given to understand it would take a quad core processor.  I can't however, find out what specific processor was meant to go with this mobo.  So here I am.  If someone could tell me the fastest quad core cpu that will go with this motherboard I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I am pleased to report that the QX6800 processor works just fine with this board.  However the stock cooler from Intel doesn't fit properly so I am not going to be using this box until I have a cooler that stops the computer from going into thermal shutdown.  Also, it does complain about the microcode, but I run Linux so it doesn't matter.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

According to the xw4400 QuickSpecs, here, the xw4400 supports the QX6700 2.66 GHz 1066 FSB CPU.  The quickspecs list this as a dual core, but I think it is really a 4 core "Kentsfield". 

I think the xw4400 supports the Kentsfield 4 core CPUs. If your xw4400 PCB shows revision 1.04 or later (located between the CPU and the DIMMs), it might run a 1333 FSB speed Kentsfield QX6850, which is a 4 core 3.0 GHz CPU, or the QX6800 1066 FXB 3.0 GHz CPU might be a safer bet.  I don't think these CPUs were ever officially supported by HP. 

I recall running one in my system, but it was a long time ago and I cannot recommend anything but the QX6700. But I can give hints.  Anyone else on this forum run a Kentsfield in the xw4400? 

I know for sure that any "Yorkfield" CPU will NOT work in the xw4400.  It will not even boot, so don't try it.  FYI.

I am an HP Employee.
My opinions are my own, and do not express those of HP.

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you problem was solved. This helps other forum readers.
HP Recommended

FWIW, the 1066 MHz Kentsfield X3220 (2.4GHz 1066 MHz FSB, 105W TDP) does boot in the xw4400.  The BIOS complains about missing microcode for thie CPU (which I'm not worried about as I load microcode in Linux instead - and I believe Windows does by default too).

HP Recommended

I recently bought an xw4600 and bought a Core 2 Extreme QX6700 to upgrade the PC.  The QX6700 worked but ran very hot with the stock cooler.  It was about 50deg C at idle and the motherboard was 60deg C.  I happened to have a Q9550 and that ran with slightly better benchmarks and much lower temps somewhere in the 30s.  You can find the Q9550 used on ebay and amazon for about $40. Don't know if the xw4400 and xw4600 use the same motherboard.  This site gives all the compatible CPUs for the 0AA0h motherbaord on the xw4600.  http://www.pc-specs.com/mobo/HP/HP_0AA0H/2908/Compatible_CPUs

HP Recommended

The xw4400 and xw4600 Workstations have different motherboards and BIOS.  The 1333 MHz FSB processors supported in the xw4600, like the Q9550, do not run in the xw4400. 

I am an HP Employee.
My opinions are my own, and do not express those of HP.

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you problem was solved. This helps other forum readers.
HP Recommended

Hello sorry it has taken so long for me to respond, but I am going to give the qx6800 cpu a try.  I will reply back with findings.

HP Recommended

I am pleased to report that the QX6800 processor works just fine with this board.  However the stock cooler from Intel doesn't fit properly so I am not going to be using this box until I have a cooler that stops the computer from going into thermal shutdown.  Also, it does complain about the microcode, but I run Linux so it doesn't matter.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.