Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP xw8600
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, new to the forum!

I have a HP xw8600 workstation with  2xE5440 processors, 32gb ram and 480GB SSD.

It has been working fine up until the last week or so where it has started to run slow and do some weird things. It is used to edit and render graphics working off shared storage in an office. All other PCs are working fine so its not a network problem. 

When copying anything to the PC (either from the shared storage or even just from the desktop to my documents on the same hard drive in the PC) the speed flucuates massively between 150mb/s-30mb/s and then up and down until it finally settles around 10mb/s before dropping to 0mb/s and hanging for a while. This then repeats until the file is transfered.  When copying from the PC to the shared storage it works fine.

Now I have tried these steps to try and get to the bottom of it

-Wiped PC with fresh install of windows 10

-Changed SSD out for hard drive with windows 10 on 

-Removed all ram and other PCI-e cards and just run with one 1 stick of ram (tried a couple of different sticks)

-Different network cards and ports. 

-resetting BIOS to factory settings

None of this has helped. I have found a few things online that I have tried and none of that has helped either. Is there something simple I am missing here or is something big about to go on the motherboard or something?

I am pulling my hair out here trying to sort this out. Any ideas?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

most ssd's have a buffer of emulated SLC that is either static or variable in size if your ssd is xfering files larger than the cach size it will show slowdowns as it now has to directly write to the much slower MLC or TLC flash on the SSD

also, if your ssd is nearly full that also will cause overall slowdowns you might try running the ssd makers utils to force a trim/garbage collection on the drive

last running a benchmark ssd program like as-ssd can see if the drive or some other issue is causing the slowdown

it's not strange to see some copy xfers be slower depending on the number, file size  and amount of small files being copied

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.