Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z4 G4
Microsoft Windows 11

Hi all. I am trying to find out the possible largest size of HDD storage I can use on the HP Z4 G4. I have the potential to buy one on which I want to create a windows storage pool using all 6 of the SATA ports on the board and the largest size NAS drives I can get into it. I have read through the documents on the site and some forums and have come across information saying there is a TB limit on the SATA controller (Some say 24TB, others say 32TB). 

Is it possible to exceed these limits using the onboard SATA connectors, or would I have to get a third party HBA controller to add essentially unlimited storage (drive size dependent)?

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

there is no practical limit on the storage capacity with newer systems like your model,  both the hardware and the os support drive sizes that currently don't exist for single drive ( and multi drive configurations using software or hardware based raid)

You can use MBR or GPT for arrays smaller than 2.2 TB  if larger than 2.2TB then GPT must be used

previous models such as the z820 and earlier had a bios limit on the size of a bootable drive that was between 2gig/2.75

however even these earlier systems had no issues with larger capacity drives as non bootable storage using 6/8 TB drives

same for dedicated raid cards, current models will support large capacity configurations however unless you require the few specific advantages of hardware, a software based raid such as "zfs" is recommended for most cases nowadays

https://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=4AA7-2219ENW

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.