Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z2 Tower G4 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Microsoft Windows Update installed this unexpected update on to my Windows 10 Pro HP Z2 Tower G4 Workstation... I paused updates... but it installed itself anyway...

It's listed in update history as:

--------------------

Driver Updates (1)

Hp Development Company, L.P. - Extension - 8.10.1.1

Successfully installed on 31/08/2020

--------------------

..and can't be uninstalled.

It not listed anywhere in Windows update catalog,  or anywhere in HP...

HP Workstation Support can't find this update listed anywhere either...

Anybody have any information on this extension update? (Only a bit paranoid because it coincided with a suspicious attempted file download from a from a browser).

Edit: Then later support contacted me to say they believed the update might be something to do with: HP Manageability Integration Kit (MIK) for Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager, bust sounded very vague.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Do not install. If installed, monitor your system

Broke my HP Elitebook 840 G3. Keyboard mouse misbehaving, keyboard eventually died. Talked on chat with HP, they say keyboard needs to be replaced and billable since its out of warranty. 

I attempted system restore, image recovery, fresh install. Problem persists. Also unuseable in bios. Windows defender in depth offline and full scans were clean. 

Talking on phone support, trying to resolve with soft troubleshooting, otherwise they want to charge. Just feels very unfair to first have an update forced on my system, which breaks my machine down to the core and then charge me to have it fixed. That's holding someone for ransom. 

I know for sure its that update which did this because that was the the only update installed and demanded reboot. The system was perfectly fine up until then. Broke after the reboot when the update took effect. Will most likely go public and legal if HP doesn't resolve this at no charge one way or another

HP Recommended

Rask5 were you able to get the issue resolved? I am also having keyboard failure after installing the update on an HP EliteBook x360 1030 G2.

HP Recommended

No, HP is hell bent on going by whether the laptop is under warranty or not. The supervisor refuses to come on the phone. Irrespective of warranty, they need to own up to the problem caused by their update and provide a fix. My keyboard is completely dead now, does not respond in the bios either.

This gave them another excuse to just blame it as a hardware issue and can't fix without billing it to me. The root cause of that issue is still that update and they will not own up to it. Can't come down on the support techs answering the phone, they are just parrorts reading off of the system following protocol and policies. The supervisors, managers do have authority but will hide behind the front line staff. 

I want this thread to go viral and have more people comment so there is a legal basis. Ofcourse this is an hp forum, they will most likely moderate and shut out down before that happens, so am keeping records. 

HP Recommended

Windows Update installed this 8.10.1.1 driver to my laptop (HP ProBook 450 G5, product number 3JJ41UT#ABA that this site does not recognize at all, by product number nor serial number) on Sept. 2 and, after I restarted on Sept. 4, my keyboard soon stopped responding. I initiated a restart and it would not even restart, just hung with the spinny animation.

I forced power off and started it again. I used System Restore to roll back the update. I checked Windows Update and found that it was already pending again. I used wushowhide.diagcab (see https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026726/windows-10-hide-updates-or-driver-updates) to "hide" the update, but Windows went ahead and installed it again anyway.

I subsequently updated my laptop from Windows 10 1903 to 1909 and everything seems to be working fine for now, knock wood. The 8.10.1.1 is apparently still installed.

I also used Group Policy Editor to "Do not include drivers with Windows Update" going forward; we'll see how that works.

On my laptop that driver seems to originate from this location:

c:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\hpqkbfiltrextension.inf_amd64_3f05c88ad1c68c6b. In that folder, there is a file c:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\hpqkbfiltrextension.inf_amd64_3f05c88ad1c68c6b\HpqKbFiltrExtension.inf that contains (among other lines):

DriverVer = 08/03/2020,8.10.1.1
Mfg = "HP Inc."
CompanyName = "HP Development Company, L.P."
HP.ExtensionDesc = "HP LAN/WLAN/WWAN Switching and Hotkey Service"

As to the connection with "HP Manageability Integration Kit", the support desk agent probably just Googled HP 8.10.1.1 same as you or I could and found it among the search results, where if you open the PDF you find that 8.10.1.1 is just a section number of a document. Bah.

I think all updates should be optional, especially drivers, with full information available telling exactly what issue they are supposed to address. I am really sore that Windows 10 no longer gives user control over updates.

I am amazed this driver can actually cause physical damage to a keyboard, but not saying it can't. Rask5, are you saying your keyboard is completely dead, even in the BIOS? How did you manage a system restore, image recovery and fresh install without a working keyboard? Can you do all that with an external keyboard?

HP Recommended

So for me this was the only update that was installed and pending reboot. Everything was working perfectly up until then. The reboot happened and the keyboard starts mis typing, keys which are not near by were typing out, could not enter password. Cleanrd the keyboard, did virus deep scans.. All clean. Then tried system restore and there was no restore point before this update, only had one from back in may when i had performed a backup. I chose that. Did not work, have some error. Tried a system image recovery which was from the same day, that worked but the keyboard waa still misbehaving. Then forced to do a full clean install. Updated all hp drivers per their recommendations. This time the keyboard started working in bios but still misbehaving in windows. However after a few reboots, it is now fully dead. 

The HP update was force pushed thru windows update with no option to choose. I have since then unchecked driver downloads and there are a bunch of hp updates in that list. 

HP Recommended

And yes, using an external keyboard. It also sometimes seem to affect mouse keypad on and off

HP Recommended

Just curious if your machine is still running properly.  I noticed this update pending install on my Probook 450G5 this morning (20201010), and decided to research it before installing.  Now I am afraid to install it, but I cannot seem to remove it from the  'pending install' updates.   I am running W10 1909. 

Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.