Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp xw4600
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
I have a HP xw4600 workstation. When I turn it on, the fans turn on momentarily before the CPU beeps twice, the fans stop and the pc fails to boot. Can anyone tell me what's the problem?
3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

See the troubleshooting guide below, chapter 5, page 43 for how to troubleshoot the 2 beep code...

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01973592

HP Recommended
The document which you shared mentions that, and I quote:
"Processor thermal protection activated by either of the following methods:
● A fan might be blocked or not turning.
● The heatsink and fan assembly is not
properly attached to the processor."

As far as the first point is concerned, the fans do turn on momentarily but all of them then turn off together. Secondly, how can the heat sink and fan assembly distort if no one messes with the CPU?
HP Recommended
It also says:
"1. Ensure that the workstation air vents are not blocked and the cooling fan is running.
2. Open the access panel, press power button, and verify that the processor fan is spinning. If the processor fan is not spinning, make sure the fan cable is plugged into the system board header. Ensure the fan is fully and properly seated or installed.
3. If fan is plugged in and seated properly, but is not spinning, the problem might be in the processor fan. Contact HP for assistance.
4. Verify that the fan assembly is properly attached. If problems persist, there might be a problem with the processor heatsink. Contact HP for assistance."
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.