Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Z240 Tower Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Here are the specs of the computer system I am using:

- HP Z240 Tower Workstation

- HP 802F motherboard

- Intel Xeon E3-1230 v5 processor

- Microsoft Windows 10 Professional 64-bit

- 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX memory

- EVGA GeForce GT 610 (P/N: 01G-P3-2616-KR) graphics card

- Seagate 1TB Desktop 3.5" HDD (P/N: ST1000DM003)

- Corsair Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 M.2 SSD

- BIOS N51 Ver. 01.80 06/09/2020

- ME Firmware Version 11.0.17.1002

- Primary Video BIOS Version nVidia 75.19.55.00.10

- Super I/O Firmware Version 4.13.28

I recently purchased the Corsair Force Series MP510 SSD and am trying to install it in my HP Z240 Tower Workstation.  I already have an older spinning HDD that contains the boot files, operating system, and my files.  I am not trying to change that; I do not want to boot from the SSD.  I simply want to add the SSD as a secondary drive for quickly writing and reading data files.  However, Disk Management does not recognize the unallocated SSD, so I cannot initialize the SSD.  The Corsair SSD Toolbox software does not recognize the SSD.  I have updated my BIOS; did not help.  I tried looking everywhere within the BIOS menu and could not find any info indicating whether or not BIOS recognizes the SSD.  From what I could find online, the HP Z240 computer should be able to communicate with an SSD via PCIe NVMe, and Crucial indicates their M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD’s are compatible.  Any help on how to install my SSD (or a definitive answer on whether or not my SSD is compatible with the HP Z240) would be appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

does the SSD show in the bios detected drives section? if not then you need to determine why, common causes are no power to drive, bad data cable, misconfigured bios setting disabling sata port(s) SAS drive instead of SATA

if bios shows drive, have you gone to disk mgmt and prepped the new drive? (IE- windows partition/format))

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

does the SSD show in the bios detected drives section? if not then you need to determine why, common causes are no power to drive, bad data cable, misconfigured bios setting disabling sata port(s) SAS drive instead of SATA

if bios shows drive, have you gone to disk mgmt and prepped the new drive? (IE- windows partition/format))

HP Recommended

Thanks for your help. It turns out it was a faulty SSD. The replacement works just fine. So for anyone coming to this post later, this SSD can in fact work on this computer. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.