Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Am trying to install Windows 10 (or even Windows 7) 64 bit onto an HP xw8600 box.  This box normally runs my ESXi 6.5 server but I think I want to dual-boot ESXi & some version of Windows.  Am aware that this is NOT a supported configuration for ESXi; I plan to dual-boot via the system BIOS F9 key  which HDD to boot from on system start.

Here's what I'm doing (or attempting, at this point): 

1) I have an old Seagate 2TB drive that I plan to boot from.  Yes I know an SSD would be better & I may clone a successful install onto an SSD if I can get this **bleep** Windows install to work.

2) I have reset the xw8600's BIOS settings to their defaults.

3) I've tried booting from both a Windows 10 Pro & Win7 Pro install USB.  Both boot up successfully.  The Windows 7 install completes then blue screens on the first boot up to Windows 7.  The Win10 install freezes up completely after I select the aforementioned 2TB seagate drive & requires a hard reset (unplugging the power cord) to get the system back.

I'm suspecting there's a BIOS setting that's hampering both installs.  I've owned this box for over 10 years & I know this box was running Windows successfully at one point (I think Win10) but I cannot remember how I installed Windows on it back then.  ANY assistance would be GREATLY appreciated!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

the original releases of windows 10 did install on the xw8600 using the default bios settings

newer releases such as 22H2 added more features and updated OS system settings that may use newer cpu instruction codes that the xw8600 intel xeon 56xx cpu series lack i think i still have a xw6400 board/cpu in a non HP case somewhere

you can check the internet archive dot org site

also make sure the latest/last bios is installed v1.46 vA (it's listed under the win 7 drivers)

you also need the intel RSTe driver use only 9.6.0.1014 or the 10.2.xx releases anything newer lacks support for the xw8600 chipset

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/hp-xw8600-workstation/3432827

i would download all xw8600 files and documents as this is a very old system and HP will soon remove these files as the system went out of production/warranty support well over 10 years ago

HP Recommended

I used the 1809 Build for the install that 'froze up'. I'll see if I have a 17 or 16x build in my ISOs.  I wouldn't even THINK of trying a 20x Build of Win10 on this...lol. Good advice on your part, all the same.

I got Win7 Pro to install however I keep getting a BSOD with a STOP error of 0x124 and the USB devices freeze up before the BSOD appears.  Accd'g to my Google search this indicates a HW error; in particular a heat issue.  I'm using the full memory risers that support 128GB of RAM (remember this is/was an ESXi box).  I'm gonna take the memory risers out (assuming I can find the original memory fan) and see if that solves the STOP error.

Thanks for the assistance, especially the advice re: drivers.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.