Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
hp z230 i7 4790
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi again!

I want to add a video card to my HP Z230 i7 4790 (tower).

I know it has a 400 watt supply so any of the cards I am thinking about will work (example 1050 Ti is about 75 watts).

I see some of the cards have a 6 pin connector for extra power (some have a 6 and an 8 ... I know these draw too much power for my unit).

I see a connector in my computer that is not used.  It has 6 pins and it is labeled "P6".

Is this connector for a PCI-E video card or for some other use?

Thanks .... Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @xtal_01!

I thought you were talking about a connector on the motherboard.  The connector marked P6 in your photo is definitely for a video card.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@xtal_01, welcome to the forum.

Here is the Maintenance and Serice Guide for the workstation.  In Chapter 1, Page 14-15 is a diagram of the motherboard with all of the connectors labled.  You should be able to determine which is the P6 connector.

The supplemental 6-pin and 8-pin connectors are on the power supply unit (PSU) if they are available.  I don't believe that your PSU will have either of them.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

P1160201.JPG

Here is a picture of the plug.  It is unused and comes from the power supply.  It is not shown in any manual that I have found (checked the user guide and the service manual).

I just want to confirm this is for a video card before I buy a card.

The only refernce I can find is a picture (page 3, figure 4) in the below link. 

Thanks ... Mike

http://h22235.www2.hp.com/hpinfo/globalcitizenship/environment/productdata/Countries/_MultiCountry/d...

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @xtal_01!

I thought you were talking about a connector on the motherboard.  The connector marked P6 in your photo is definitely for a video card.

HP Recommended

Thanks.  I am not a computer guy.  I can put in boards and such.  I just wanted to make sure I was not grabbing a connector meant for something else.

This means I should be able to use any GTX 1050 Ti card,.  It seems that the ones with two fans use the extra power connector.

Thanks again .... Mike

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @xtal_01.

Make certain that the GTX 1050 Ti does not require more than 400W to operate properly.  The specs in the link that I provided show a minimum of 300W without a supplemental connector.  So, you shouldn't need the P6 connector.

HP Recommended

Funny you say that.  I have been looking at this for two days now.

I realized changing out the HP power supply really was not an option (at least not without a lot of playing and experimenting).

This is why I choose the 1050 Ti.

They all list at about 75 watts (300 watt supply recommended).

Most don't seem to use the extra plug.  Actually, at first I thought none  needed the extra connector but then I saw the Asus and Gygabyte dual fan versions used the plug.  It must have something to do with the dual fans.  Still they seem to list out at about 75 Watts ... Hmmmmmm.

I still would "like" to find one that does not need the plug. This would draw the least power ... which I am thinking would put the least stress on the power supply.

My budget is very tight so I will take which ever 1050 Ti I can get cheapest (have several marked on ebay).

Thanks again .... Mike

HP Recommended

Good luck, @xtal_01!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.