Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z820
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have just acquired 4 HGST HUH721008AL4200 8TB Ultrastar He10 drives to use with an LSI 2308 SAS controller in an HP Z820 workstation. While trying to configure them for raid-0 (in LSI Setup) these drives come up as "WRNG TYP" (wrong type). They appear in windows (Win7pro64) disc management normally as individual drives, but I am unable to make them into an array in the LSI. If they aren't useable under LSI raid control I will need to return them. The interface is SAS 6gb. They replace 4 4TB Seagates (1 failed).  The new HGSTs are SAS 12gb, supposedly retor compatible to 6gb. Any insight appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I'm happy to report that the firmware update for the LSI 2308 (sp68642) has rectified the problem and I'm happily running a large HGST raid zero array. Thanks for your help!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

please answer a few questions (sorry if they seem basic)

The message 'wrg type,' which is short for 'wrong type,' appears as the status message in the LSI BIOS menu when a hard drive reports some of the required data to the controller, but not all of it.

does your z820 have at least 3.91 or later bios?

is the HUH721008AL4200 connected to the white SAS connectors that run along the bottom of the board

and do the drives show up in the LSI config menu? i ask because this drive model is available as SAS or SATA interface

and the z820 LSI onboard chip can detect and work with either interface in most cases can you provide the drive Part number

are you trying to make this  raid-0 array a boot drive? if so that's the problem the z820 will only be able to use raid-0 if configured as a data drive when using 8/10 TB disks under the onboard LSI controller

this link may (or may not) help you in reguards to array setup methods using the various options found on most HP workstations

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01722374

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-z820-workstation/5225041/document/c04474148

you may have to install a LSI 93xx series controller to be able to use these drives if they are SAS interface

the SATA ones should work as expected on the z820 SATA ports

HP Recommended

Thanks for your help. I'll try and answer your questions:

does your z820 have at least 3.91 or later bios?

is the HUH721008AL4200 connected to the white SAS connectors that run along the bottom of the board

and do the drives show up in the LSI config menu? i ask because this drive model is available as SAS or SATA interface

and the z820 LSI onboard chip can detect and work with either interface in most cases can you provide the drive Part number

They are SAS, not SATA. They replace 4 WD 4TB SAS Drives that were used as a raid 0 array. Yes the drives are connected correctly and show up in the lsi config (as sas, and wrg type)

are you trying to make this  raid-0 array a boot drive? if so that's the problem the z820 will only be able to use raid-0 if configured as a data drive when using 8/10 TB disks under the onboard LSI controller

NO, don't want to make it boot, just data.

this link may (or may not) help you in reguards to array setup methods using the various options found on most HP workstations

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01722374

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-z820-workstation/5225041/document/c04474148

you may have to install a LSI 93xx series controller to be able to use these drives if they are SAS interface

the SATA ones should work as expected on the z820 SATA ports

I don't understand why that would be as the drives (that worked for years) these replaced were SAS, though they were 4TB drives, not 8TB.

HP Recommended

if you can i require the drives part number to confirm they are SAS and not SATA interface

newer drives can use drive  information fields  that  were unused in older drives, when the controller queries the drive and reads these fields this will cause the wrong type error,  you can also get this error if the sector where the drive stores the data gets damaged, but in this case i don't think that's the case

newer SAS controllers have newer firmware that is aware of the newer drive models data fields which is why i suguested a newer model LSI SAS controller, the z820 is a older controller and will not be getting any updates from HP. and i do not recomend applying the LSI 2308 firmware updates to the z820 although it can be done , there is no guarentee the firmware will resolve the issue or even install without problems as HP has not vetted it

HP Recommended

HUH721008AL4200_DF27406_NB is the sku

HGST Ultrastar He10 OF27406 HUH721008AL4200 8TB 7.2K RPM SAS 12Gb/s 4Kn 256MB  is the description

HP Recommended

HP actually has a firmware update for the LSI2308 posted in the Z820 support area, but I have not been able to succesfully install it.  It is almost 3 years newer than the F/W that's in my machine. I suspect that might be the fix.

HP Recommended

I'm happy to report that the firmware update for the LSI 2308 (sp68642) has rectified the problem and I'm happily running a large HGST raid zero array. Thanks for your help!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.