Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
t520
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

We recently purchased some t520 thin clients and already there's problems with the disk space. I removed a few programs and added a couple, but I've done nothing unusual to increase disk usage. The usual ways don't help, Disk Cleanup gives me just a couple MBs to free up. We have an application that requires .Net 4.6 but now I can't install it because of low disk space.

The disk has a capacity of 16 GB but Windows itself is taking up almost all of that, and most of it seems to be located in the WinSxs folder. HP shouldn't sell these with 16 GB disks if its barely enough for the Windows installation.

Please advise how to free up space on the disk.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I got some help elsewhere and was told to delete everything in the Windows/SoftwareDistribution/download folder, which freed up a few gigabytes, so I'm good for now. But still, these should come with at least 32 GB storage.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

tom_sand

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

I read your post about low disk space and wanted to help.

I agree that 16GB of space is ridiculously low for a PC; in fact, HP is still selling PCs that come with only 32GB of disk!

One complication of the WinSxS folder is that those files are not really there, so you can't just remove them or the folder to recover the space.  But there is a way to address it.  See this Win8 community forums thread: WinSxS folder cleanup in Windows 8 & Windows 8.1

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
========================================================================
If you feel my suggestions helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol to say thanks!

If they helped resolve your issue, please click "Accept As Solution" to help others find similar information.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I got some help elsewhere and was told to delete everything in the Windows/SoftwareDistribution/download folder, which freed up a few gigabytes, so I'm good for now. But still, these should come with at least 32 GB storage.

HP Recommended

HP also offers different flash size options with Thin Clients. 4, 8, 16,32 and 64GB.

I am an HP Employee.
My opinions are my own and do not express those of HP.
**Click the Thumps Up Button on the right to say Thanks**
HP Recommended

Look into the 'C:\Windows\Installer' folder.  How much disk-space is used?  It could be between 3 GB and 13 GB.

The files in this folder are security-updates that have already been applied.

If you never intend to use Windows Update to "uninstall" any of the updates, just delete these files.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.