Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pro 6300 MT
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have managed to create a UEFI bootable USB device and copy the flash utility and binary from the update to the device. The USB device boots ok and I can browse to the flash utility using the efi commands option, but here the problem begin. I can't figure out how to pass the required parameter string (" -f xxxx.bin ") to the FWUpdLcl.efi utility - the browser only give me the option to execute the "naked" command - that is without parameters. How do I circumvent that obstacle? (trying to execute without the parameter string only causes the flash utility to load from the USB device without doing anything else)

Thanks Chris

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I would think the "-f xxxx.bin" is required as the .bin file contains the firmware you are wanting to update.

I am an HP Employee
Quality Manager - HP VR / Z Desktops
-----
iMaxx” FORMER VOODOO PC / HP LEGACY GAMING SERVICE MANAGER
While I am an HP employee, my comments and suggestions are my own and do not represent HP Inc.
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. I am aware of the need to pass the parameter string in order for the  FWUupdLcl flash utility to function correctly. My problem is how to pass the string when I only have an efi browser with two options: execute or browse further on. I guess there must be some way to pass the parameters e.g. by a "cmd"- or "bat"- like structure - or another way to access the FWUpdLcl.efi flash utility.

My problem probably boils down to my lack of experience with operating within an efi shell. If someone have a link explaining that subject, it would be most appreciated.

I cannot belive I am the only one who has tried to install this update to ME (it was released in April 2017 and applies among a long list of HP systems to 6300 Pro, 8300 Pro and 8380 Pro, all with purpose "critical" and is addressing the INTEL-SA-00075 / CVE-2017-5689 Vulnerability). Someone must have found a way to solve the issue.

Regards Chris

HP Recommended

Hello Chris and iMaxx,

Do we have a solution to the question that Chris asks? I am trying to update the ME for an Elite 8300 . Thanks!!!

HP Recommended

as i recall, this updater is/can be run from within windows using the "Command Prompt (Admin) dos window

before running the updater, make sure the intel "AMT" option is enabled in the Bios and that the Intel AMT software is installed and that you see a com-3 serial device listed in the device manager

once the update is installed, remove the amt software and disable the AMT option in the bios, as it's only of use in domain environments, not home  environments

also note that later builds of win 10 replaces the dos prompt with power shell so you will need to set it back to the command prompt before running the updater

1. Click on Start, select "Settings".
  2. Click on "Personalization".
  3. Click on "Taskbar" on the left panel, turn off the button below "Replace Windows PowerShell  with Command Prompt in the menu when I right-click the start button or press Windows key + X".

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05843704

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.