Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z840
Ubuntu LTS

I have a Z840 system with two Z-Turbo G2 drives installed. Per the Z-Turbo drive instructions they've been configured as drives zero (boot drive) and one (data drive). I recently purchased a Quad Z-Turbo drive and, per the instructions recommendations, configured it as drive "C".

When I powered up the system my drive one (data drive) is no longer visible. If I remove the Quad Z-Turbo drive it reappears. I have checked and rechecked the settings on all the drives to ensure they're set according to the installation instructions. I have also attempted to configure drive one (data drive) as drive two but there was no change in behavior. I have also tried setting the Z-Turbo drive as drive "D" again with not change. The only drive I have not attempted to change is drive zero (boot drive) as it is the boot drive.

Drive zero (boot) is physically located in slot one, drive one (data) is located in slot three, and the Quad Z-Turbo drive is located in slot six. The only other PCIe card is the video card which is located in physical slot two.

Does anyone know why I lose drive one (data) when I install the Quad Z-Turbo drive and, more importantly, how to install all of them together?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

the HP Z-Turbo G2 drive pci-e cards have configuration jumpers on the card to set the cards address space and these jumpers are used when installing multiple cards (up to 4) have you set these jumpers?

the Quad Z-Turbo drive card also has configuration jumpers and is set as drive # 6 or 7 if using dual z-turbo cards

all of the SSD cards must have unique ID's via the config jumpers

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/2608494/Hp-Z-Turbo-Drive-Quad-Pro.html?page=16

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response. Yes, I have configured both the Z-Turbo Drive G2 drives as well as the Quad Z-Turbo Drive according to the recommendations in the table on the following page. That's what makes this confusing is that I've configured them as recommended in the installation instructions.

HP Recommended

try setting the quad card as if it was the forth card to be installed (skip the #3 setting)

HP Recommended

I have a HP z820, I  will be trying to boot from Samsumg 980 SSD 250GB PCie 3.0x4 and M2 NVME to PCie 3.0x4 adaptor. I hpe I will be able to boot from my nvme. Can anyone provide any recommendations.

HP Recommended

You cannot boot nvme drives such as the Samsung 980 on a z820/z620 as the bios lacks the necessary code for this,

it can be used as a data drive however

i've made several posts on how to add the missing nvme boot code using Duet/Refind installed on a bootable usb key

search this forum for these posts

HP Recommended

I had already tried setting it to "d" before posting.

HP Recommended

I have a different setup for my HP z820. I ran into some issues. Can you or you point me in the right directions. I have attached a file with my configuration,

NVME installation.jpgNVME installation.jpg

HP Recommended

the z820 is not able to boot most nvme drives as the bios lacks the necessary nvme boot code if you wish to boot nvme on this system you need to use either clover, or my personal favorite "DUET/REFIND"

some datacenter/enterprise ssd'd did however include the necessary nvme boot code in the ssd's bios

the only widely available consumer nvme ssd to include boot code was the Samsung 950 pro

search this forum for posts by me on ssd boot

the z840, being a later model however does support nvme boot

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.