Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z8 G4

Having purchased the Microsemi Adaptec SmartHBA 2100-4i4e SAS controller recommemded by HP for SAS drives I am now faced with how to install it. The 4 default factory SATA cables which run from the backplane of the hard drive bays to the motherboard should be able to be plugged into a SFF 8643 - 4 forward break out cables to connect with the Microsemi SAS controller, but all of the SFF 8643 cables I can find have the opposite SATA inputs, female when male ends are required to mate with the 4 HP factory supplied cables from the backplane. Are male to male SATA plug adapters available ? Some have recommended the Microchip-Technology Adaptec ACK-I-HDmSAS-4SAS-SB-.8M (part number 2280100-R)   here: https://www.misco.co.uk/product/Cables/SCSI-Cables/Microchip-Technology/2280100-R-Microchip-Adaptec-...  but I don't know if they will fit on the backplane of the Z8 G4 or whether the power connector will fit the existing one. I wish to install 4 x 4tb SAS drives rated at 12gbps.  Can anyone offer advice please ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Thank you very much for those links and confirmation that the male to male adapters work with the SAS drives.

HP Recommended

DGroves, regarding using the Male to Male adapters, have you noticed any drop in bandwidth/performance as opposed to using direct SATA connectors, are they rated for SAS III ? The SAS drives I will be using are capable of 12 gbps. Typically it is proving difficult to find UK stockists for the Male to Male adapters, even by using your suggested search terms.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.