Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z440 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everybody,

I have a HP Z440 that I intend to use till it dies on me.

The only gripe that I have with this workstation is that the PSU cables are horribly small and unmanageable. I really want to swap a brand new PSU into this, preferably a modular one that allows me to use only the cables that I need and allows for better cable management.

Due to the fact that I've been out of the PC hardware scene for quite some time, I'm not entirely sure where to begin looking or if an endeavour of this sort is even possible due to the very fact that this is a workstation and therefore regular PSUs won't fit into it or won't be compatible?

I do not want to damage my workstation in any way while doing this, so I'm willing to stick with my current PSU if changing it means that the newer PSU will somehow fry the electricals due to higher/different specifications.

Any and all advice is highly welcome.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

From the pictures I have seen, the Z440 has plenty of room for an atx power supply.

I would only upgrade if the 550 is not enough.

The vibration caused by a drill can shake the processor pins on the motherboard out of alinement. In addition metal dust can get into open sockets.  The mombo needs to be removed and the case wiped with a damp cloth to get rid of metal dust after hole are drilled assuming one needs to drill mounting holes.

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

If you have the 700 watt power supply you might want to just get extension cables for the PCIe graphics.  Extension can be found for molex and sata power also.  I did not see any extensions for that 18 and 12 pin power cable.

OTH if you have the smaller 525 watt you might consider replacing it with a standard, but larger, ATX and get an adapter kit sold at several places not just below

https://www.moddiy.com/products/HP-Server-Z440-Main-Power-24-and-8-Pin-to-18-and-12-Pin-Adapter-Cabl...

I suspect the holes will not line up.  If you decide to drill mounting holes for the standard atx power supply be sure to remove the motherboard not just cover it with a cloth.

some nice upgrades using the existing 700 watt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaTo4xlfsVA

HP Recommended

Hello BeemerBiker!

Thank you for your prompt and thorough reply! I’ve seen the video and the link. Am I understanding you correctly that there’s no guarantee any ATX sized PSU will fit into this cabinet and it’s possible that I’ll have to drill holes to accommodate it?

Just to make make clear, I want to replace the PSU entirely without making modifications and put in a premium PSU.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

From the pictures I have seen, the Z440 has plenty of room for an atx power supply.

I would only upgrade if the 550 is not enough.

The vibration caused by a drill can shake the processor pins on the motherboard out of alinement. In addition metal dust can get into open sockets.  The mombo needs to be removed and the case wiped with a damp cloth to get rid of metal dust after hole are drilled assuming one needs to drill mounting holes.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much BeemerBiker! I’ll start looking at PSU and find one that fits in my budget!! Have a great day ahead!

HP Recommended

" Just to make clear, I want to replace the PSU entirely without making modifications and put in a premium PSU."

The HP 700W version for the Z440 is what I'd recommend for you if you have the lower wattage one. It will be plug and play, no drilling or modifications needed. If you have the HP 700W version in place that's what I'd stick with. The HP workstation power supplies are custom engineered for their motherboards and are built to higher-than-ATX standards. For example, note the 6-pin HP PCIe supplemental power cables are rated to 18A max... 18A x 12VDC = 216W. The ATX standard is only 75W.

The latest (last) version of the 700W one has a HP Assembly part number of 719795-005 and can be found for a reasonable cost by searching for that number via eBay or Google... I have never had an issue with buying a used HP power supply and there are quite a few available now that the Z440 workstations are being parted out more frequently. Here's a pic of that version's label:

Z440 700W HP power supply 719795-005 809053-001.jpeg

HP Recommended

Hello SDH,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry for not mentioning it earlier, but I do have the 700W version of the PSU for my HP Z440. However, the cable quality and management is horrendous. BUT, I do see the point of sticking with OEM stuff rather than spicing it up with fancier things. More money in my pocket doesn't harm me at all 🙂

Just out of curiousity, how much is the below 6 pin PSU rated upto?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CP-9020139-UK-HX1000-Platinum-Modular/dp/B00MFD2EAO/ref=sr_1_1?crid...

Thanks.

HP Recommended

while you are entitled to your opinion on regards' to HP quality and design decisions in their workstations

however i would like to point out that since HP designs the case, power supply, motherboard, on other misc. items,  and tests each component they list under the HP approved items such as ram/drives/pci-e cards

they design these systems quite carefully for their intended usage

i personally have no issues with their power supply cabling, and most users don't. just because you don't approve of their choices hardly makes it substandard 

Comeap, sells quite a few adapters and unlike many venders who make  adapters theirs  are of high quality and they do list their specs for their 7 pin power supply adapter 

https://www.amazon.com/COMeap-Power-Adapter-Workstation-12-inch/dp/B06XW7RWNH

you can ask them if they make a 18 to 24 pin z440 adapter

https://www.comeap.com

this link may also help

https://www.greenpcgamers.com/mfg/hp/hp-z440-gaming-computer-and-other-hardware-upgrades/

HP Recommended

Thanks DGroves.

I don't think I ever questioned the quality of the native HP PSU thats in my HP Z440, so I'm not sure how that point ended up coming up. The design choices and the length and orientation of the cables is very much questionable imo.

Anyways, I think we can sum up all what everybody has contributed to the below points

• The native HP Z440 700W PSU is over-engineered to higher than ATX standards and therefore must not be replaced
  • Replacing the PSU may or may not work and might require drilling.
  • I should use extender cables wherever required instead of replacing the PSU with a modular PSU like the Corsair.

Thanks everybody for helping me answer my doubts and questions! Have a great day ahead!

HP Recommended

@devparam02,

As not to miss out on this interesting discussion, I'd like to throw in my penny's worth.  Notwithstanding HP's proprietary over-engineered 700 watt PSU, I would also opt for an ATX industry standard fully modular power supply.

As @DGroves suggested, in order to install an ATX PSU, you will need these ATX 24-pin to 18-pin & 8-pin to 12-pin power adapter cables though:

NonSequitur777_1-1660575117516.png

Which can be readily purchased online such as here, for example: https://www.amazon.com/Suyitai-Replacement-24Pin-Adapter-Supply/dp/B08PBH6VPV.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.