Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you are having hardware issues with your computer, please, Click here for more information.
HP Recommended
Z640 Workstation

Setting up a new Z640 workstation (got a good deal on one in a sealed box). 2x E5-2667 V4, 128GB RAM, Z Turbo Drive w/Samsung PRO 2TB M.2, 2x Samsung EVO 2TB 2.5, GTX 1080 Ti graphics, HP wireless, latest BIOS.

Did a fresh install of Win 10 on the Z Turbo Drive. Everytrhing works great, BUT I have no fan speed control. Processors will overheat doing a full Windows virus scan.

Read that processor fan control is through Intel Management Engine. Downloaded Intel Management Engine Software (sp74499) and no difference. Then Intel Management Engine Firmware Update and Utilities (sp90102) still no fan speed change from idle. Then tried the Software Restore DVD (sp94949) and still nothing.

Any ideas of how to regain fan control would be greatly appreciated. Kinda sucks having a nice workstation and can't run anything but a web browser or MS Office without worrying about it overheating.

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

You mention a "sealed box" and thus you may be running on an old BIOS version. I'd update to the latest as my first step, and the attached PDF below is the way we do it safely, from within BIOS.

HP Recommended

The computer shipped with BIOS 2.45 and I upgraded to 2.61. This wasn't without issue, because it also shipped with a Quadro K420 and I lost the display after upgrading the BIOS. I reinstalled the BIOS a couple a times without the benefit of a display (via both the CMOS button and boot block recovery jumper). Could see normal drive activity, so swapped the K420 for a GTX 1080 Ti, and all was good with the video. Reinstalled 2.61 again with the 1080 Ti just to make sure everything looked good.

I also upgraded the CPUs and drives, and added the Z Turbo Drive and a HP wireless NIC (Intel 7260). The OS install was on a brand new SSD, so I know there wasn't anything leftover on the drives.

It shipped with Windows 10 Workstation, and I loaded Windows 10 Pro (with a new license). I thought about trying to load Windows 10 Workstation, but not sure if this would make any difference. Figured probably not.

HP Recommended

Okay, just updated (or re-updated) my BIOS to 2.61 using your attached procedure. Downloaded a new copy of SP146166 to get the M60_0261.BIN file. Used HP Performance Advisor to monitor fan speed and temperature. Ran the Stress Test in HP PC Hardware Diagnostics Windows, and looks like no change in any of the fan speeds. I cancelled the stress test with CPU0 at 72C, CPU1 at 86C, CPU0 Fan at 522 RPM, and CPU1 Fan at 1158 RPM.

Thanks for the suggestion, as I'm willing to give anything a shot at this point.

HP Recommended

this line of E5-26xx cpu's  (v3) has a Tcase of 70c and  is the maximum temperature allowed at the processor Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS).

if your cpu temp is at this or higher then the thermal interface between the cpu/heatsink is bad or the cpu cooler itself is defective

on the z840/z820 systems the case fans are separate from the cpu fans with each having a seperate thermal circuit/sensor

and the bios only fan setting only controls the case fan speed not the cpu fans i suspect the z640 is the same but i don't work on the smaller systems so i'm not sure "SDH" does have firsthand knowledge of this series so wait till he replies

HP Recommended

The Tcase for the E5-2667 V4 is 78C. Looks like all the sensor data is making it, but the system is not acting upon it. The heatsinks are undamaged, and I replaced whatever factory compound there was with DOWSIL 340 when I upgraded the CPUs.

I just tried reinstalling Windows 10 from scratch, and immediately followed up with sp94949.iso which is the HP Software (Driver) Restore DVD. Still have the same issue.

HP Recommended

your  installed  E5-2667 v4 cpu's max Tcase is 78c any higher will cause the cpu to throttle down in speed

and i still suspect the heatsink(s) may not have the proper application of thermal paste or the cooler may not be properly mounted/secured

HP Recommended

Agree with DGroves.

In the Z640 the second processor (CPU1) sits in a socket on a "riser" that plugs into the motherboard. The primary processor (CPU0) sits in a socket on the motherboard. It is safe and easy to slide the riser up and out when the workstation is fully disconnected from power. When you repower and boot there will be a single slight delay and the system will then boot from CPU0.

In our experience with the Z640 CPU1 (on the riser) does not run significantly hotter or cooler than CPU0. You'd be able to do a little work at no cost with your second processor by removing it from the riser and switching it to your motherboard's socket to see if it runs hot there too. If so, then replace that one. If it runs cool in that socket then there likely is a problem with your riser's heatsink or fan. Those have their part numbers on them so you could get replacements pretty easily.

On the Intel Ark site for your processors, under the top Ordering and Compliance tab, you can see it only has one sSpec code of SR2P5 (if there was more than one you'd want the later stepping). That PAGE also shows Intel's recommended price of $2057.00 USD, but if you search US eBay for SR2P5 today you can find those used for about $25.00 from respected US sellers including shipping. Those used ones almost always are perfect. Prices have really come down...

I personally have been using the original Noctua NT-H1 for years now because it spreads on the processor top so nicely, lasts for a very long time without degradation, and is nonconductive. Their later NT-H2 does not spread so well. Clean the processor fully including a very careful wipe of the bottom contacts. I use high % IPA (not the beer type) for that. A small baby pea amount of the paste goes on the middle of the processor's stainless heat spreader and then a latex gloved finger is used from center out to spread that evenly. The amount I use is just enough to not let you see the laser etched writing through it. Proper cross-tightening of the screws is done to where they just barely bottom out, a couple of full turns each at a time so the heatsink contact plate lowers down level. That should do it.

One of those gives you a respectable CPU Benchmark score of 13895 and "dual" of those gives you 24249. So, this is well worth the effort...

HP Recommended

I just ordered some Noctua NT-H1, and will give that a try. I know the factory HP compound is a rather thick gray substance, and the DOWSIL I've been using is white and pretty thin, but have been using it for years with seemingly no ill effects. Will also try swapping the CPUs to see if there is any change. That's exactly where I got mine - eBay from a parted out server.

I just ran the CPU Stress Test on one of my Z620s (what I'm using as I write this), and the results were CPU0 63C, and CPU1 65C. Same heatsink compound (DOWSIL) and it's been in there for a while. CPUs are E5-2667 V2s. Have Z640 CPU0 heatsinks in my Z620s for the extra heat pipe.

I cut the pinky finger off a nitrile glove, put it on my index finger, and spred a thin layer of compound on the CPU. Then do a dime sized spot on the center of the heatsink. Have always had pretty good luck, and never a lack of coverage when taking one apart. No excessive blobs running down the sides of the CPU either. Everything is cleaned with 91% isopropyl prior.

But I still have the same elephant in the room. No fan speed control. My Z620 fans would be screaming long before the processors reach these temperatures. In the Z640 the fans remain at idle. If I crank the Z640 idle fan speed up in BIOS, they don't overheat - but it's too noisy to use in a quiet room. I found a brand new Z640 motherboard on eBay for $60, so hopefully this will be my weekend project. I'll try it with whatever BIOS it ships with first, and see if there's any fan speed control prior to updating the BIOS. If this doesn't work, the Z640 is going back in the box until I get another idea to try.

So far, the Z640 has been a frustrating experience. I have a pre Z xw8600, Z800, and a pair of Z620s sitting here, and they have all been flawless. Even with Win 11.

HP Recommended

Your root problem in my mind is the abnormal high temps from your riser's processor. Something is wrong up there. Though they look very similar the risers for a Z620 vs Z640 are quite different in processor socket pinout and memory sockets. The hole spacing and processor offset thickness of the socket's stainless steel above the pinout surface is the same, however. Do check that someone in the past did not put a riser heatsink/fan from a Z620 onto your Z640 riser's socket. Those are different and may have lower cooling capacity. The part numbers are different but the fan's white plug ends are the same. Correct Z640 riser heatsink part number is 749597-001, versus 647288-001 for the Z620. You can see those by an eBay search for the part numbers.

I forgot to mention that my spreading of the NT-H1 is circular from the center out. Your method of a second layer on the undersurface of the heatsink is excessive from my perspective. Surface layer on the top of the processor will be enough. The level lowering of the heatsink (by sequential cross-screwing down) onto that flattens the NT-H1 perfectly.

EDIT: Make sure both of the fans on your riser are working (heatsink and memory cooling fans). You should be able to see that with the case cover off.

Correct Z640 riser's heatsinkCorrect Z640 riser's heatsink

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.