Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z840
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I currently have an Nvidia Quadro M6000 24GB in my HP Z840 Workstation and I would like to configure my system to Nvidia's MAXIMUS configuration. I am wondering if the Nvidia K80 Accelerator GPU will be compatible with the HP Z840.  If anyone knows  please do reply....Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

the k80 is a server based card and will most likely overheat even in a z840 due to lack of forced air cooling across it's lenght (it does not have any fans on it's heatsink) it relys on forced air from the servers fans to cool it

K80 and K40/k40c are not the same when trying to use the k80 in a workstation

also the k80 draws over 300 watts and uses a non standard power connector compared to the telsa cxx series or the k40c

i would not install this card in a z840 due to the above reasions

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

the k80 is a server based card and will most likely overheat even in a z840 due to lack of forced air cooling across it's lenght (it does not have any fans on it's heatsink) it relys on forced air from the servers fans to cool it

K80 and K40/k40c are not the same when trying to use the k80 in a workstation

also the k80 draws over 300 watts and uses a non standard power connector compared to the telsa cxx series or the k40c

i would not install this card in a z840 due to the above reasions

HP Recommended

Thank you, thats a great advise.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.