Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Z220 sff workstation
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello all, I have a Z220 sff workstation running Windows 7 64bit. I tried to install a new PCIe firewire card (Startech: PEX1394A2V2), when started the computer I get a blank screen and the fans run up to full speed and nothing happens other than a lot of noise. I think I have the latest BIOS (K51 v 01.87). In device manager I notice "SM bus Controller" has a yellow warning and there seems to be no driver installed, I have tried to update this driver but non are found. I have tried installing all windows 7 updates, intel updates and HP updates, still the "SM bus controller" is yellow. Also in BIOS settings I only find PCI settings and not PCIe settings. Note : when I got the computer it had windows10 installed and I reverted it back to the original windows7. 

Any help would be much appreciated,

cheers

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi:

You need this driver for the SMBus controller.  Restart the PC after installing the driver.

This package provides the Intel Chipset Drivers for select Workstation models and operating systems

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp72001-72500/sp72180.exe

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to help you with your other question.

Here is the link to the service manual which has the available BIOS settings.

The section regarding the BIOS settings can be found in chapter 2 starting on page 41.

c04205252.pdf (hp.com)

My experience with some HP business desktops is that the only PCIe x 1 cards that work are for wifi and audio.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.