Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP T630 Thin Client
Microsoft Windows 10 IOT

I get the following error when trying to image one of my thin clients. Mind you, we have hundreds of these throughout the company. 

Initializing... ***ERROR*** The system does not have license for the image OS!

Aborted with error code: 0xFFFFFFFF

This is the image I use for hundreds of thin clients and it works just fine on them. This T630 in particular seems to be different and seems to not have some sort of license.

Is there anything I can do to get this license back?

I can install Windows IOT on it just fine on its own and windows activates. This seems to be some sort of HP License that is acting up.

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

there were various versions of several available OS's ranging from

Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10. (and Linux)

windows 10 iot/iot enterprise 

or Linux  is what HP is offering via their download page

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-t630-thin-client/10522151

as the other OS's are no longer current, and no longer under active HP support

so you need to determine which OS, then which sub version of that OS

you must install the OS that matches the box's embedded license, unless you manually

install windows retail (or linux) with a retail serial which can be difficult as a stock box is limited in ram/storage

HP Recommended

That's the problem though. It's a Windows 10 Device, but when I use the "HP Thin Client Imaging Tool" to install the image to install it, it gives the aforementioned error message.

I can manually install Windows 10 IOT from a flash drive that Microsoft gives me on it no problem. But then when I go to install the write manager software that HP gives me, it also gives me a box that says the following:

HP Thin Client Conversion Suite License

No Valid License Found.

-Buy Now

-Extend Trial

-Select License File

Windows is fully licensed just fine.

HP Recommended

based on your posts, it appears your box in question has a  Windows 10 IOT license

1.Check the license tab on the device itself - it will say W10 or WES7 etc. There may be additional numbers listed as well. 

Note, if your system came with Windows 7/8 installed you must use that image for factory resets,

you can only do the win 7 to Windows 10, upgrade

usage of the base W10 image (which was the default in later T630's) requires the box to have a win 10  license. 

2.Install "HP ThinUpdate" on some other PC and browse for OS images listed under that model.

3. If one of the images fits the OS type and also the additional codes, then that's the one to use. And that will be the ONLY one which will install. This image MAY be upgraded compared to the one already on the device (sort of a minor version upgrade, depending on what HP sees fit to do or not).

4. If the OS type (Windows 7 or 10) fits but the numbers don't, you'll have to try. Use the oldest image listed in ThinUpdate and try to install. One of them will install.

The image which  installs should also activate without problems - the license key is in the BIOS. 

As a note, that license key is an OEM key and is tied to the specific software image

(so you can't install any other Windows image from elsewhere and activate using that key). 

HP Recommended

Let me clear a couple of things up, This is a Windows 10 IOT device. although I mentioned putting windows IOT separately on it, It is no longer on there now. I was able to get my company image that is based on HP's default image on it via HPDM luckily, but the problem I am having is with the write filter now it doesn't seem to install without asking for a license file. 

I am 100% positive that this is the same version of windows that came with it since We have hundreds of the same thin client with that exact image on it with no issues.

To answer your questions:

1. The license sticker on the Thin Client is what looks like a Win 10 license. I don't see a tab that says exactly what it is, but it's the holographic stickers you tend to see on windows 10 devices.

2 and 3. I install the correct image and put it on a flash drive and it STILL doesn't work. This computer is NOT upgraded.

4. This is the same image that came with these devices since I put the HP official image on it.

I have not used this key anywhere else, Windows is activated on this thin client with no problems. It's the HP software that seems to think it isn't a thin client

HP Recommended

1. The license sticker on the Thin Client is what looks like a Win 10 license. I don't see a tab that says exactly what it is, but it's the holographic stickers you tend to see on windows 10 devices.

the above comment is useless as it is imprecise and not specific. I require the information found in the ThinPro's

The Software License Tab of the System Information application

2 and 3. I install the correct image and put it on a flash drive and it STILL doesn't work. 

that's because the t630's embedded bios license file does not match the image you are trying to use

EG- you are installing the wrong image

4. This is the same image that came with these devices since I put the HP official image on it.

obviously not, since the error you are getting is very specific and tells you that serial in this box does not match the image you are trying to use

you say to have quite a few of these systems, i doubt they were all purchased at the same time/place so it's very possible that this one is not the same as your other units configuration wise

HP Recommended

1. 1.Check the license tab on the device itself - it will say W10 or WES7 etc. There may be additional numbers listed as well. 

The above question was useless in the first place as there are no labels other than the one Windows sticker that just says "Windows" on it. 

I am not installing the wrong image. yes we haven't bought all of them at once, but we buy a lot of them at a time. We wouldn't have bought 500 thin clients with windows 10 and 1 thin client with Windows 7. Even if it was a Win 7 device, there's no way of telling what the original license is as it just says "Windows" on it.

That's not even the problem, Windows 10 IOT Activates just fine, it's the HP software that can't seem to verify itself. Is there a separate license for HP software on the thin clients? even if we try to click the Buy license button, it takes us to an unrelated page and doesn't let us purchase a license.

Can you tell me how I would go about getting license information for my thin client?

HP Recommended

Hello Daviwilso,

HP sells Thin Clients with different Windows 10 IoT Licenses depending on Microsoft release date. 

Windows 10 IoT LTSB 
Windows 10 IoT LTSC
Please make sure to install the correct version of Windows 10 IoT. Trying to install incorrect version would trigger the Licensing error. 

If you plan to create a recovery media using flash drive you can use HP ThinUpdate tool :  

https://ftp.ext.hp.com/pub/tcimages/EasyUpdate/Images/ThinUpdateRelease/2_6_22/HPThinUpdate-02.06.22...

** Do not copy this file to the flash drive. You need to install this on a Windows based PC **

Install the ThinUpdate on any Windows 10 64 bit computer

- Open the tool

- Select the first option "Download ThinClient Recovery image"

- Select Platform (Thin client model): t630

- Select Operating system: Win10-64

- Select the image (Ensure to select English): 

- Connect the right size of Flash drive and click on Create. This tool will format and create a bootable Media

- (The tool would format the flash drive and create the bootable media. If you are prompted to format the flash drive a second time please cancel it)

*To boot the unit from USB, tap F9 the moment you press the power button to turn on the unit. Select Flash drive under UEFI

The below pic shows where Windows 10 IoT LTSB has been selected :

Manu_2680_0-1660232094025.png

**Click the thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
HP Recommended

This did not work, I was running LTSB prior, I tried installing LTSC from ThinUpdate just now and it gave me the same error:

"***ERROR*** The System Does not have license of the image OS!"

I did just realize that this thin client is under warranty, I may just open a claim with HP.

Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

could you please share the SKU# and the featurebyte from the BIOS of the unit... 

**Click the thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.