Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP t740 Thin Client (5PD46AV)
Linux

I have a client that has a fleet of T630's. They recently purchased, through my company, 3 T740's. Our procurement department ordered the wrong SKU and we neded up with HP ThinPro 7.2 for an OS on them. This clients remote support client does not work under Linux and we need to re-image them with Win 10 IoT. 

HP has apparently locked the OS version down to the Build ID in the BIOS. This dis-allows re-imaging with anything other than the original OS, even if you have available Win 10 license keys from Microsoft. 

Is there an HP utility I can buy/use that will allow me to convert these 3 T740's to Win 10 IoT?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

the only thing you can do is buy 3 licenses for win 10 IOT from HP for those T740's

I believe HP calls this procedure a "Field Upgrade" contact your local HP rep or HP support via email on this option for details

just make sure you buy the win 10 version you require as HP offers several versions of it

HP Recommended

Thank you, that is what I was looking for... However after getting ping-ponged back and forth between sales and support, I really didn't get anywhere with HP on the phone.

HP Recommended

i believe you can install thinupdate on a pc and scan for available clients then select the t730 and  select win IOT and it should prompt you to buy a license for that OS

HP Recommended

I have ThinUpdate downloaded and installed to help create the USB image utility. It does not appear to have a "scan for local thin clients" as a menu option. 

DL Image to USB or recovery drive

DL add ons

Copy images from USB/local storage/etc

Create ISO from a Thin Client

View available updates for Windows OS

Am I missing something? or do I have the wrong version installed? 2.6.22

HP Recommended

read the link's pdf HP says it can be done

HP ThinUpdate is available for download from the HP website.
  1. Type your model number in the Enter your HP product name, product number or serial number box, for example, HP t505 Flexible Thin Client, and then click Find.
    If a list of model numbers displays, select your model number from the list.
  2. In the Software and driver results page for your model, select your Windows operating system and version, and then click Change.
  3. Click Operating System-Enhancements and QFEs.
  4. Click Download next to HP Recovery Image and Software Download Tool (ThinUpdate).
  5. Follow the on-screen instructions to install HP ThinUpdate.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05450017.pdf

HP Recommended

Windows Images downloaded from HP ThinUpdate tool will not work since they have scripts that would allow the installation only if they detect the license from the system board. 

When you purchase "Windows 10 IoT LTSC Field upgrade", you are not provided with a license key but a login to HP Account where you will need to download the entire OS. The License will be embedded in that .ibr file that you will be downloading. 
- Once you have downloaded the .ibr file you will still need to use HP thin update tool to create a bootable usb flash drive. 

- You will need to use the 3rd option "Copy Thin client images between local storage and USB"

Manu_2680_0-1661188049803.png

- Connect your flash drive only then you can use the rest of the options on the next screen. 

Manu_2680_1-1661188128733.png

- Select Create a Windows Bootable USB Drive

- Use the plus sign to select the downloaded .ibr file and click on Apply, agree the prompts and it should create the recovery media without issues. 
- Use that to install the Windows on the unit, once you take the Thin client online the OW would get activated.

*** Once activated that OS cannot be captured and deployed to any other unit since the activation will be registered to that specific Serial number.  If you plan to modify the OS and capture to make a golden image, it needs to be done before getting the windows activated. 

**Click the thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.