Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z8 Fury G5 Workstation Desktop PC RCTO Base Model

On a brand new HP Z8 Fury G5 workstation with a xeon w5-3423 I'm getting a maximum boost frequency of about 3.01ghz as reported by the windows task manager when running cinebench, R23.  The speed is the same doing either a single core or multi-core test.  The cooling fans always stay at the minimum speed, processor core temperatures are <60c.  This processor is supposed to boost up to about 4ghz, I feel like there is a lot of performance left on the table.  I have the power plan in windows set to ultimate, the minimum and maximum processor state is set to 100%.  Is there some other configuration I'm missing or does HP hamstring their top end workstation PCs for some reason?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Z8_Turbo_Boost wrote:

This processor is supposed to boost up to about 4ghz, I feel like there is a lot of performance left on the table.

What happens if you try some other CPU intensive apps? 

Turbo Boost is kind of dynamic and not either off or 100% on and never nothing in between. Some apps seems to trigger it more than others. I have very seldom seen the "...up to..." been met though all cores peg at around 99%-100%. If i remeber correctly Turbo Boost will never boost all cores at the same time.

What Is Intel® Turbo Boost Technology? - Intel

HP Recommended

I tried other programs, Solidworks, MasterCAM, etc.  the boost speed never goes higher than about 3.02 ghz.  These programs are not highly multi-threaded the overall utilization is around 50%, but individual cores are at 100% during certain tasks.  I don't expect to get a full 4ghz all the time, but I do expect to at least see the temperatures climb a little higher than 60C and the fans should be spinning up when the processor approaches its limit.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.