Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP 280 G3 MT
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi, all USB ports disabled for keyboards and mice.  Both work in both HP diag and BIOS, but when windows starts ports don't work.  F8 isn't working for safemode so I can't get to the device manager.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

That's a good question.

I forgot that your 'hands' are completely tied using the KB and mouse in Windows.

Maybe try reinstalling W7 and see what happens.

Then use those drivers I posted to update to the latest drivers.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

Are you trying to install W7?

If so, you can only use a W7 USB installer, and you need to run this utility to put the USB 3 drivers into your W7 USB installation flash drive.

http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Utility/mb_utility_windowsimagetool.zip

HP Recommended

Hi Paul.  Thanks for the reply.  I'm not trying to install anything.  We've had this one for about 5 mos with no issues, but then went to log into Windows and the keyboard/mouse doesn't work.  I've tried multiple keyboards and mice.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Sounds to me like it lost the USB 3 driver.

The only other suggestion I can offer would be to install the latest chipset and USB 3 drivers directly from Intel.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28182/Chipset-INF-Utility?product=1145

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22824/Intel-USB-3-0-eXtensible-Host-Controller-Driver-for-...

HP Recommended

Do think I could burn those to disc and boot from it?  Not sure I've tried booting from a utlitiy in the past.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions.

HP Recommended

That's a good question.

I forgot that your 'hands' are completely tied using the KB and mouse in Windows.

Maybe try reinstalling W7 and see what happens.

Then use those drivers I posted to update to the latest drivers.

HP Recommended

USBless,

That's an odd one. One immediate idea is that the controller driver(s) is /are not loading, and there may be seperate issues relating to the chipset and USB controller  If you have the Windows restore media,  an OS repair installation might correct it,.

If that does not restore the drivers, it's possible that the USB controller has failed- but that's something I've never heard of happening.

It is very difficult to accomplish much without a keybord and mouse.

I'd thought to try and install a PCIe USB add on card with it's own on board controller that would at least give easier access to the system for troubleshooting. I've heard of these cards cards not needing drivers- just plug and play, but if drivers have to be added, It may be possible to copy the installation files drivers and *.EXE from a CD made on another system to an internal drive and then RUN from the prompt run from a recovery disk to install/initiate the USB add on card.

Have any BIOS settings been changed recently?

Those are my best wild guesses!

Curiouser and curiouser.

BambiBoomZ 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.