Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z240
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I am trying to load Windows 7 (64-bit) on HP Z240 tower but keep my Keyboard and mouse are inactive. I have loaded the same OS on the HDD using a Dell Desktop with no issues. When I insert the HDD in to the HP machine it says Windows needs to repair but never successful

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

If the KB and mouse are freezing up, if you are using a USB KB and mouse, try using a PS/2 KB and mouse.

The problem is that your W7 installation media is missing the required USB3 drivers to install.

It does not matter if the KB and mouse are plugged into USB 2 ports.

If you don't have a PS2 KB and mouse, then you need to install W7 via USB flash drive and use this utility which will automatically install the USB3 drivers you need for the installation to continue.

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Utility/mb_utility_windowsimagetool.zip

HP Recommended

I managed to install the OS using a Dell Desktop and it works with no issues. I insert the HDD back to the HP machine but i only get the option to repair or start windows normally which do not help at all. Is it something to do with BIOS setup maybe as I am now using PS\2 mouse and keyboard

HP Recommended

I don't think you can just swap the drive from the Dell to the HP unless it has the same exact hardware configuration (processor chipset, etc).

It is not going to boot up.

Then you need to make sure the BIOS was set the same.

I have a Dell OptiPlex 7020 and the default setting for the BIOS is legacy mode enabled and secure boot disabled.

On the HPs legacy mode is disabled and secure boot is enabled.

You cannot install or run W7 on any PC with secure boot enabled as it is not compatible with W7.

HP Recommended

I have sucsessfully installed Windows 7 on PC's using the USB2.0 ports for the keyboard & mouse. The should still work since the usb 3.0 controller is seperate.

You'll need to check in the Dell BIOS if it's set to:

A) Legacy or UEFI

B) HDD is set to Legacy, ACHI or RAID

On the HP, set the BIOS the same as the Dell. Don't worry about RAID in the HP, ACHI should be fine.

I would also suggest migrating the Install files from CD to USB. You can use this tool: https://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Boot-Manager-Disk/WinUSB-Maker.shtml

Then you can boot off usb to install Windows and it's quicker.

HP Recommended

your solution is quite simple

windows 7 does not natively support USB 3.0, you only have USB 2.0 support in windows 7 you need the intel USB 3.0 drivers that match your boards chipset

solution: connect the kbd/mouse to the z240's usb 2.0 ports

solution 2: load the windows 7 driver during the  install using the "F6" method to manually load the missing driver(s) during the in 7 install phase

solution 3:  slipstream the necessary usb 3.0 drivers into the win 7 install files using the program "NTLite"

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.