Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
z420

Hello I am having a hard time updating the older HP z-series 420/620/820 as well as z400/600/800

From older BIOSes as there are not any older BIOSes offered on the Support Links.

Which version do I have to step it up to before the current 3.91 can be flashed and where can I find the older BIOS versions for the Models above! Need Help HP.... 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Go to this archived post, and go to the second page, and download the PDF I attached (plus read those two pages):

The address is HERE :

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktops-Archive-Read-Only/a-problem-updating-Z620-BIOS/m-p/5041904/hi...

The basic idea is that your BIOS is so very old that you need to do the "step up" procedure to get a more recent one (but still old) installed so you can then update from that to the current one.  "Way old" is where you are right now.

The link HERE still works to download the SoftPaq to get the first step done:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp64501-65000/sp64701.exe

The BIOS for Z420 was the same as for Z620..... once you do the first step I then go to the the Z420 or Z620 drivers page and get the SoftPaq for your second step (to 3.91 via SoftPaq HERE ).  Those two workstations both still use the same SoftPaq for the final step in your BIOS updating, SP78208.  It is just 2 steps; no need for doing more than that.  If a newer  BIOS update comes out in the future your "second step" can use that SoftPaq instead.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp78001-78500/sp78208.exe

I like to upgrade BIOS from within BIOS as previously posted about multiple times here.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.