Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Z240 Tower Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I would like to know, whether I can use a Samsung 960 Pro M.2 SSD with 2 TB as second drive in the M.2-Slot of my new Z240 workstation?

Will the BIOS and Win10 identify the SSD correctly?

Will everything work fine or will there be any problems?

Thanks for your feedback!

Günther

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

99% yes, HP is using Samsung SM951/961 as M.2 SSD drives, SM961 is OEM version of retail 960 pro

Only difference will be that your drive is missing factory integrated heatsink, which you  get with genuine HP M.2 turbo  drive bought as original accessory or factory integrated

HP Recommended

Thank you very much 🙂

HP Recommended

I have ordered the 960 pro online and will report whether it actually works.

HP Recommended

Status report:

• Installation without problems (mounting screw was available in the Workstation, not included with Samsung-SSD)
  • Freezed during first boot (on screen with HP logo and "Protected by HP Sure Start")
  • After shut down and second boot SSD properly detected
  • Without problems: partitioning / NVMe driver / Magician software / firmware update
  • Performance benchmark with Magician software:
    Sequential R/W: 3339/2054 MB/s // random R/W: 440401/311350 IOPS

I use the M.2-SSD just as data-disk, I didn't try booting of it.

greetings
Günther

HP Recommended

I am using 960PRO in my z840 as a boot disk and it is a huge improvement.  I would use it as a boot drive.

HP Recommended

Any chance you can take a pic of which slot/bay you installed your m2 drive?  I installed an nvme in the pci 3 slot to boot.  But now I'd like to have an m2 ssd for storage and when I spoke to a tech at HP he told me the m2 slot was only for wifi bluetooth cards....

HP Recommended

just a quick note, the zx40 (z240/z440/z640/z840) line and newer do have bios support for booting from nvme drives

older hp workstations like the  z220/z420/z620/z820  and older do not have bios support for nvme and as such can not boot from nvme devices (but can still access them as data drives) they must use (SATA)

a good rule of thumb is that x99 and newer chipsets will support nvme older ones such as x79 and lower will not

the HP pci-e SSD carrier board has been found to only work (so far ) in the hp line of workstations

the  "HP Turbo" board uses a SATA SSD

the "HP Turbo G2" board uses a NVME SSD 

HP Recommended

Hello.... Were to able to clone the HP Z240 OS in this and able to boot using the 960 Pro M.2 SSD?

HP Recommended

Maybe too late, but maybe the picture is a help for you ...IMG_4048.JPG

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.