Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After upgrading HP Z1 All-in-One workstation (WM432EA#ABS) with Windows 10, I cannot use the workstation as external monitor anymore (ctrl+shift+s+d). The feature worked perfectly on Windows 7. The external monitor feature is described here; http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03964197 on page 23. I have downloaded the latest HP My Display utility (https://www.portrait.com/) but no fix to the problem. Any ideas how I can get external monitor feature to work on Windows 10?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@TapsaKoo -- Two possiblities:

1. If you have an external monitor connected to your All-In-One, but are getting no output to it, hold-down the Windows key (bottom-left of your keyboard) and tap the "P" key.

Does the new window show that the 2nd monitor is "active", or does it show "only use 1st monitor" ?

2. If your All-In-One has a HDMI-input port, and it is connected to the HDMI-output port of a different computer, check on that computer that it is enabled for "multiple-monitor" output, i.e., that it is sending a stream to your All-In-One.  If you have a spare HDMI monitor, connect it, instead of your All-In-One to the HDMI-output port on the other computer.

HP Recommended

Z1 All-in-One workstation can be used also as external monitor. Very useful feature. So, I'm not trying to output Z1 video signal to external monitor, instead I'm trying to input my laptop video signal to Z1. Check the user manual page 23 (link to the manual in the original question post). Like it is said in the manual external monitor feature relies on the My Display utility...and that doesn't seem to fully work now with Windows 10. I cannot switch Z1 to "monitor mode" with ctrl+shift+s+d command.

1. it doesn't help to tap Windows key+P and select output options, not on the Z1 nor on my laptop (HP Elitebook 820 G3)

2. Z1 and laptop video signals are connected directly with DisplayPort cable 

HP Recommended

@TapsaKoo -- it doesn't help to tap Windows key+P and select output options, not on the Z1 nor on my laptop (HP Elitebook 820 G3)

On the laptop, what did "Windows-P" show? One screen? Two screens?

On the laptop, what did "Device Manager" show, under the "video" section?

HP Recommended

On the laptop,

Windows-P shows normally shows selection of project; PC screen only, Duplicate, Extend, Second screen only

Device mngr shows under Monitor "Generic PnP monitor". That's because I have needed to connect another external monitor (HP EliteDisplay E232) to laptop due to missing ext monitor feature on Z1 workstation. Situation is however same even if I disconnect this external monitor. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.