Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z420 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Windows 11 requires Trusted Platform Module version 2.0 now how is HP going address on HP Z420 these unit where made in time when Microsoft states it should have 2.0 and this can done with a firmware update is HP going to Address it or is HP doing a fund raiser of planned obsolescence.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hello,

Very good question ! I think that many of us are asking ourselves this question.

I hope that HP (or Microsoft if they lower the restrictions a bit to be able to install Windows 11) will be able to give us a satisfactory answer. The last bios of the Z420 is from 2019 (03.96 Rev. A).

HP Recommended

HP is most likely not going to address this,.... you have to understand that this workstation model was released in April 2012 and was in support till 7/14/2016 ,  extended support ended for this model on 7/14/2021

HP makes/made the hardware, Microsoft makes the OS ,your complaint about Microsoft's decision to only support TPM 2.0 on a hp product released after the HP support period is unreasonable.........this is not something that HP is responsible for direct your complaints to Microsoft in this case

HP Recommended

The model I have was made in 2016 and know This has take everybody by surprise since there are no problems issues with 1.2 and looks like more like planned obsolescence Microsoft and vendors generate more money. I mean when you can buy a USB upgrade TPM for 20 bucks with HP sells for a lot of models I don’t know why that couldn’t be a solution also. What is your very powerful machines and their productivity and function will probably be good for another five or six years being obsolete over a $20 part is just unacceptable. And will make me rethink selling HP products in the future.

HP Recommended

I am a beta tester for Windows 11 so I have voiced my This concern through those channels also. But these are HP’s highest and workstations $3000 and up from HP you would think HP would want to keep those clients as happy as possible so they will buy the newer models when they need to. I’m currently  selling the Z440 and Z230 models both of which either have or have an upgrade available to 2.0. This high end Z line from HP products is by far Some of the best products made by any manufacture. 

HP Recommended

again, Microsoft sets the hardware requirements for windows 11 not HP

TPM 1.2 has know security issues and a limited crypto command set the TPM 2.0 revision adds many features and bug fixes

you should also note that MS is also stating that all cpu's before 8th gen are not supported, so later beta releases of 11 may not support the same older cpu's that this initial beta release does

the current win 10 will be supported till 2025

bottom line, it may be a good time to start planning a possible future upgrade if your a business home users can simply wait till the end of 2024 before deciding what to do

HP Recommended

Hi,

My turn again @DGroves,

Companies surely have more financial means than the simple home users that we are. In addition, they often use leasing for their computer equipment. So for them the question does not arise too much.

On the other hand, home users can't all systematically change their computer like that, even waiting for 2024 and the fateful end of Windows 10 for 2025 ! We are not all called Rothschild...

The TPM does not exist systematically on each recent computer, it was mostly found until now on professional equipment. So it will be an additional cost for people, the manufacturers will surely take advantage of it to increase the prices under the pretext of the addition of the TPM chip even on so-called consumer hardware.

Personally I think that for a HP Z workstation with a price between 2000 and 3000 €, HP could make the effort to develop an update for the TPM since it is already present, and not say that it is already too old ! We could almost talk about programmed obsolescence, don't get me wrong. And I think that for all the other computers with the TPM chip (surely the same brand), HP could also do it.

The security of the TPM 1.2 compared to the 2.0 version is only a pretext I think, Microsoft (and also the computer manufacturers, let's not fool ourselves !) only sees it as a source of infinite profit with all the replacement of the computer park which is announced in the next years in order to be able to install Windows 11 ! Not everyone can afford to switch to Linux for example.  Also, do you think a gamer will look closely if the TPM chip is present, and is at version 2.0 ?

Finally, I think that this practice will not be limited to Windows 11 in the future, but also to future Windows versions, also for servers.

I believe that companies such as HP (if they really want to)  have the necessary weight to make Microsoft bend, they are the ones who allow them to sell Windows.

Have a nice day anyway.

HP Recommended

I do not believe that Microsoft would not have been included a link to HP and their new products if HP was not involved with this Microsoft doesn't make this decision without involving the providers of the computers. 

HP Recommended

So will HP really want to do something on its side, and offer us the right TPM 2.0 update for the Z420 (if technically possible) ? We can afford to dream, otherwise the switch to Windows 11 could also be expensive in terms of environment, with all the computer waste... 

HP Recommended

Microsoft's security argument to explain that from now on it will require the presence of the TPM 2.0 chip from Windows 11 onwards is totally fallacious, because all the people left on the side of the road might not have the possibility to update their TPM chip (if present of course) and will therefore continue to use versions of Windows with much more security flaws when they will no longer be maintained by Microsoft at all. Because I repeat that not everyone has the means to change their computer at the snap of a finger.And for processors (and worse for graphic cards) it's exactly the same thing, for me it's a pure agreement between Microsoft and computer and parts manufacturers like HP, it will just make sales go back up  !

So if there is the possibility to develop a TPM 2.0 update (maybe it already exists in the vaults) for Zx20 Workstations, there is no reason why it should not be made available to us users afterwards ! I may be repeating myself but all this has a cost for us while others will fill their pockets ! So I'll wait and see how all this evolves...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.