Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP XW6400
Other

I have the above workstation running two xeon E5335 2Ghz cpus.  Its very reliable and has taken everything I have thrown at it for a couple of years.  However I cannot for the life of me, get intel speedstep to clock down the CPUs when they are idle. I have been through many tutorials but it just fails to load saying the following.

FreeBSD

dmesg -a

Starting powerd.
powerd: no cpufreq(4) support -- aborting: No such file or directory
/etc/rc: WARNING: failed to start powerd

I think its a bios option but I have been unable to fathom what Ive done wrong.

Could you help. I have installed the latest Bios update, but that has made no discernible difference.

Could you help?

Regards, Steve

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Thank you so much for this. I'll get the quads and can have them fitted when I move everything to my new nanoxia deep silence 5 in a couple of weeks.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Steve,

Here, at the top,  is a short review of C1E and EIST.  If your processor does not support EIST you have no chance:

https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/comments/39sirq/intel_speed_step_on_or_off/

If you look up the Xeon processors on Wiki you will find:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Xeon_microprocessors

If you then search in that article for the code name of the Xeon group that includes the E5335 (Clovertown) you will find this statement:      "EIST support all except E5310, E5335".

I'd recommend running two of the E5345 Xeons for this workstation, and that processor does support EIST.  I'd specifically buy only the latest Intel stepping of that (the SLAEJ).  You can search eBay for SLAEJ and find a pair now for about 14.00 USD, free shipping. 

I've posted quite a bit here about that sSpec code processor for the xw6400, which has the latest Intel improvements built in when compared to the two earlier steppings of the E5345.  There are roughly 10% of xw6400 motherboards that cannot run this processor, but I'd think since you have the E5335 running you will be able to run the E5345 SLAEJ version.  The E5345 is the fastest Xeon that HP ever supported for the xw6400, and when you can run 1 reliably you can always run 2.  I stress-test them with Prime95, and if it will fail you'll know that within about a minute.  I'd start with one, and add the second after you prove the first will work.  You generally cannot run a processor that is not on the HP approved list because it will not be in the "microcode" in BIOS that controls which processors can boot.  There are some rare exceptions.

I like the Noctua thermal paste the best..... have done this conversion on many xw6400s.  If I can't run two SLAEJ E5345 (2.33 GHz) in a particular xw6400 then I run two of the fastest dual cores (E5160, SLAG9 sSpec code, 3.0 GHz), and that has worked out quite well. 

I agree on always using the latest BIOS version, of course.  For others.... If I were buying a xw workstation right now I'd favor a xw6600 running two E5450 quad core processors, sSpec code SLBBM.

HP Recommended
Thank you so much for this. I'll get the quads and can have them fitted when I move everything to my new nanoxia deep silence 5 in a couple of weeks.
HP Recommended
Have a good weekend thanks again x
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.