Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z2 Mini G4

Anyone know if you get a Z2 Mini G4 with an Nvidia Quadro GPU and a CPU that has Intel Integrated graphics aswell if you can compleatly disable the intel in the bios making it run in nvidia descrete only mode?

Trying to decide on which CPU to get and if the Intel cant be disabled id opt for the CPU option that doesnt have integrated built in as I would rather not have to deal with that Optimus setup where everything gets routed through the Intel GPU even if you make the Nvidia the default graphics processor if it can be avoided.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

you gain nothing installing a intel cpu without graphics, doing so is not recomended as many software application use parts of the intel graphic features section as a gpu cprocessor  with quicksync being one of them

you can manually select which application uses which graphic cpu if the auto gpu select function is not to your liking

HP Recommended

Just want to know if its possible, as long as the Intel GPU is active the Nvidia GPU acts as a coprocessor to the Intel, and all settings regarding display out/monitors are controlled by the Intel driver instead of the Nvidia (that entire section is actually disabled).

HP Recommended

i have not personally worked on a g4 system yet so i'm giving help based on the full sized HP z workstations that i do work on

i believe you have to enter the BIOS, and tell the sysem to use the pci-e card as a primary display device

or enter the intel viseo console and set the onboard as as secondary device

the HP restore disks/shipped OS will most likely not work (no display) if you change the cpu to one without onboard video

and it's possible the entire system will no longer work depending on how the HP bios is configured

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.