Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z240 SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everybody,

I'm looking for a Z240 SFF Barebone and I've read  the last 01.84 Rev.A Bios allows to install 7th generation Core and 6th generation Xeon E3 1200.

I would like to install an Intel i7 7700 Cpu and I wonder if this new bios version is compatible with "DDR4 2400Mhz Ram".

Has someone got some news?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

each manufacturer provides different motherboards, there may be some differences
Even if they look the same
For this case here, there is a probability, that it works, but we cannot affirm, since no official document here for that
Identical bios would leave me guessing yes, but nothing certain with HP models
i've seen cases with motherboards, almost identical, but in the end, what was for one did not work for the other
But you can try, for the memory, the risk is minimal
If that does not work, return to the original speed
Either it works or the speed will be bribed to the supported speed
or it doesn't work at all

but for the little difference, it should not be felt too much

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

hi

of origin it is indicated

Intel CoreTM i7-6700 3.4 2133 4C CPU
Intel CoreTM i7-6600 3.3 2133 4C CPU
Intel CoreTM i7-6500 3.2 2133 4C CPU
Memory speed supported
2133MT/s DDR4

HP strongly recommends promptly transitioning to this updated BIOS version.
- Updates Intel processor microcode to 0xF0 for Intel 6th generation Core processor product family and Intel Xeon processor E3-1200 v5 product family.
- Updates Intel processor microcode to 0xF0 for Intel 7th generation Core processor product family and Intel Xeon processor E3-1200 v6 product family.

the update actually allows the addition of processor

reported in other updates
but in no case, question of changing the memory speed

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-z240-small-form-factor-workstation/835...

HP Z240 and Z238 series Workstation System BIOS

and I have a doubt, because indicates two models / series
is this applicable, if the computer, does not already have the processor..?
the other model has this original processor..

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-z238-microtower-workstation/10148199/document/c05701797#AbT1

did hp install exactly the same two motherboards, or a small difference on one of the two, and only the bios is applicable..
it's worth a try, but I wouldn't guarantee the result here!
I don't know if you can understand what I mean, but if the computer does not have this original processor, does it allow you to use one??

HP Z240 Workstation - Maintenance and Service Guide

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Z240 and Z238 have the Intel C236 Chipset and I've read that some other producer's C236 motherboards support DDR4 2400Mh RAM (after updating the Bios to the latest version).

Both of them support Intel I7 7th gen. and Xeon E3 1200 6th gen. and both of these Cpus support DDR4 2400Mhz Ram.

Both of them have the same Bios and HP says Z238 support DDR4 2400Mhz RAM.

It seems to me that Z240 should be a bit more powerful so, if Z238 support DDR4 2400Mhz Ram, why Z240 can't support the same Ram?

Actually we don't have an HP official confirmation but everythink suggests that Z240 would support DDR4 2400 Mhz.

I don't know if someone else has some news about the relationship between Z240 and DDR4 2400Mhz Ram.

HP Recommended

each manufacturer provides different motherboards, there may be some differences
Even if they look the same
For this case here, there is a probability, that it works, but we cannot affirm, since no official document here for that
Identical bios would leave me guessing yes, but nothing certain with HP models
i've seen cases with motherboards, almost identical, but in the end, what was for one did not work for the other
But you can try, for the memory, the risk is minimal
If that does not work, return to the original speed
Either it works or the speed will be bribed to the supported speed
or it doesn't work at all

but for the little difference, it should not be felt too much

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.