Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Z400 V2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi All, I scoured the forum here but couldn't find anything similar...

I'm relatively new to anyhing involving RAID, and trying to install Windows 10 onto a version 2 HPZ400. Have a confirmed working bootable USB that I use on other workstations. Flashed the HP bios to the newest version, but I run into a snag where In the boot devices menu I get the message:

"Serial ATAACHI BIOS Version ISRC 1.170

*This version supports only hard disk and CDROM Drives*"

And Lo and behold, despite bios settings allowing legacy boot, disabling secure boot, and having USB at the top of the boot order, I get this:

Attempting Boot from USB device

Non-system disk or disk error

replace and strike any key when ready.

So my question, as I am fresh out of DL-DVD's

Is it possible to change/update the AHCI BIOS version to one that allows USB boot? Or am I stuck having to aquire a DVD to install?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

the z400 does not have secure boot as it's a legacy (pre UEFI Bios) system based on the x58 chipset

insert the usb key, then in the bios select the entries so USB and DVD  come before the Hard Drive

also check that the bios does see and corectly show the hard drive

(disconnect all other HD's except for the drive the Os will be installed to(

windows 10 has all nessary drivers built into the OS

download the windows 10 install creator from microsoft and run it and select the create a bootable USB key option

you will need a 8gb key and another working system to make the install key

i suspect that your optical media, or how you are burning the disk is the source of your problems

once the OS is installed, i recomend installing the latest intel RST driver that supports your chipset 9.6.x.xxxx/10.1.0.10086

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.