Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP z400

I have an HP z400 with a 130w pcie graphics card. One day it just failed and when I tried to switch it back on there was nothing on the screen and no BIOS beep codes. The power switch would turn blue, nothing would appear on the screen and after a little while the case fan would ramp up to 100%

The green LED on the motherboard would light up when the psu was plugged in so I figured that the PSU was OK but I worried that something on the motherboard had failed and maybe damaged other components. 

I ordered a replacement motherboard. I swapped all the things over to the new board and it got as far as the windows login screen and now it's behaving in the same way. If I remove the graphics card it doesn't give the the 7 beeps. It did initially, then it booted as far as the windows login, froze and now if I switch it on it does nothing but ramp the fan up.

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Trial and error suggests this is a RAM stick issue. One of the six seems to have some sort of intermittent problem. The bios sometimes catches it and disables one pair of sticks, sometimes not and tries to boot with 24GB only to fail quickly and sometimes gets stuck before bios and just cranks the case fan up to 100%

I swapped the two sticks nearest the front of the case around and it seems to be running OK for now.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

This seems like an intermittent fault but nothing seems to be overheating. I'm beginning to suspect the PSU

HP Recommended

Trial and error suggests this is a RAM stick issue. One of the six seems to have some sort of intermittent problem. The bios sometimes catches it and disables one pair of sticks, sometimes not and tries to boot with 24GB only to fail quickly and sometimes gets stuck before bios and just cranks the case fan up to 100%

I swapped the two sticks nearest the front of the case around and it seems to be running OK for now.

HP Recommended

I had a similar problem with a computer of a different brand....

Underneath the CPU there is a steel mounting support plate that is to prevent the circuit board from being deformed when putting the CPU cooler in place. Between the plate and the circuit board is an insulating washer. When removing the plate I found that a small solder "blob" from one of the memory data/address traces had penetrated the washer causing an intermittent short. A sharp knife and careful cut removed the blow and that memory slot was OK again.

Should your memory slot fail again it could be worth checking...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.