Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z420 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Good day to all,

I updated my BIOS to the version 3.92A within Windows 10, then my Z420 rebooted. After reboot I disable Legacy support  and I enable  Secured Boot , then my computer shuts down.

When I press the Power button again, the fans starts, but It began to beep in 3 rows by 5 times and the power button flashes in red. After this 3 rows of beeping, it stops beeping and continues to flash in red and did not Start.

What could be the problem. How can I fix it?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

yup,.....a reset will fix the boot errors either that or use the cmos reset button if you board has one it will be near the cmos battery

and in the future you might want to research what a bios setting does before flipping those settings around

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

first, is your hard drive GPT format? if not secure boot will not allow booting, same for disabling legacy support does your video card have a uefi enabled bios? if not then again you will have a error (and no display)

read page 149

http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c03424977-1.pdf

sounds like bad ram (likely),  or possibly failed motherboard (unlikely)

remove all ram, install only on module in correct slot and try boot, if it starts enter bios and  reset back to factory defaults and save

if no display,  or still error beeps remove power cord, press pwr button 5 sec then press reset cmos button (or remove cmos batt and wait 1min) power back on and if it gets to bios, reinstall cmos batt( if removed) and save settings 

HP Recommended

I update the flashes number.

Is not 3 rows of 5 beeps and 5 flashes each.

Is not 4 rows of 6 beeps and 6 flashes each.

I already read the code error and it tells me is not the RAM, is the graphic card. I have an Nvidia Quadro 6000

I didn't verify that before I update and change settings.

I cannot restore the bios either. I will try tomorrow your method. Hope it will work. 

Thank you!

HP Recommended

i just checked nvidia's site the quadro 6000 does not appear to have a UEFI compatable bios it's legacy only

resetting cmos will resolve the issue, i've had several users try UEFI video with older non uefi compliant cards and get the black screen errors

HP Recommended

So all I have to do is to reset my BIOS. I have to do a hard reset, by removing CMOS batery.

HP Recommended

yup,.....a reset will fix the boot errors either that or use the cmos reset button if you board has one it will be near the cmos battery

and in the future you might want to research what a bios setting does before flipping those settings around

HP Recommended

Thank you again,

This method works.

Now, I want to make a clean Windows 10 install. Can I do it?

Or should I use the old Wndows 7 OS?

HP Recommended

did you install/update to win 10 from windows 7 pro ? if so you can do a clean install of win 10 by downloading the win 10 install image from microsoft since the win 7 to 10 upgrage will grant you a digital license for win 10

simply say you don't have a key during the win 10 setup/install and it will auto activate when you connect to the internet

HP Recommended

Yes!

Thank you!

This I will do.

But I have a question:

Before my bios update my computer won't shut down after I shut down my Windows. I have to do a forced shut down from the power button. 

I found some ideas on the internet that I should install something from my cpu and activate virtualization in BIOs.

What should I do? What's your opinion? 

I don't want to mess arround with BIOS settings.

Thank you!

HP Recommended

almost allways a non shutdown problem can be traced back to a program or windows service that is either hung/crashed

or for some reasion refusing to let go of windows resources 

i would try a windows shutdown, wait 2 min then crtl/alt/del and bring up task manager and see if you can determine which app/service is the offending one(s)

or just do a clean reinstall of win 10

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.