Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 11

Long story short- I installed Windows 11 on my Z440. It said my virtualization was not on even though I did see in the BIOS. I installed the HP support assistant to see if there are any updates to drivers/BIOS. It suggested the newer BIOS. After I run through it now my BIOS is dead. I cannot get to it using any function key(F2, F8, F10, F12). I tried the option of holding Windows key+B method a couple of times but it did no good. 

I have a raid of hard disks and I have formatted all my drives before installing Windows 11(unless the old BIOS copy is there). Ok my bad I did not make a copy of the old BIOS on USB. 

I now have a computer that forcefully starts Windows 11 with no way to get to the BIOS. Is there an alternate method to remedy this? It does not recognize bootable USB drives probably because of boot sequence.
Considering this was a HP tool that messed it up, they should walk me through how to fix it or send me a new motherboard.

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

To get into your Z440 BIOS:

Use the Escape key instead... start with the workstation fully off, and push the power button, and immediately start pushing the Esc key at 1 second intervals, and don't stop until you get to a BIOS entry point, then hit F10

Try a PS2 keyboard instead of USB keyboard.

Do a full clear of CMOS by all the things we've described before including unplugging from power, taking out the motherboard battery, disconnecting from all externals, press and hold the CMOS motherboard button for 15 seconds, Press and hold the power on button for 15 seconds, wait 15 minutes, repeat. This can clear CMOS corruption and has to do with fully discharging capacitors that can maintain the CMOS volatile memory with minimal charge.  You should end up with factory defaults after all that.

Learn how to update BIOS from within BIOS... it is the safest way to go. I've posted on that here over and over. It is a bit different for the ZX40 family and on vs the ZX20 family and back.  There is use of a thumb drive carrying the new BIOS .bin file nested down in a series of folders HP specifies the names of.  Before this newer method you just needed to have that .bin file on the top level of the thumb drive, plugged in during cold boot, into a USB2 port. But, you need to be able to get into BIOS to use that method.

You may have borked your OS install, and W11 is not approved for your hardware.  You're an experimenter... nothing wrong with that but expect some bumps along the road.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.