Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Z600

Hi,

I have intention to purchase refurbished Z600 system.

I have been cheking out the ebay and reading through this forum and I need answer to confirm my thoughts about whole CPU support issuse with different Z600 revisions.

So, the question is: if I purchase system with two 5600 series CPU's, can I be sure that that system is newer revision? For example, I am looking at systems with dual E5620, E5630 and E5640 and later would like to upgrade to dual X5650.

I base my asumption on the all things I read that older revision (2009 boot lock) only supports 5500 series and newer revision (2010 boot lock) supports 5600 series. Or is even old revision have support for quad core 5600 cpus but not for hex core?

Please, give me advice. 🙂 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It sounds like you already know about the Boot Block date that you can see in BIOS easily, and know the date to look for.  If the workstation is already running the Xeon E56xx series processor(s) then it is the newer better version of the motherboard.  I have used that approach in the past for buying used Z600 workstations for a donation project locally, and that has not failed me.  Also, sometimes the eBay seller will show a screen shot picture of that first page in BIOS that includes the Boot Block date.  That is a certain way to go.

If you buy one of the very slowest version 2 ones you can find it will be cheaper, as you are going to upgrade the processor(s) with a used faster one off eBay.  A key piece of info.... buy a dog-slow one with 2 processors.  Getting an extra heatsink/fan this way is wise.  Those are not cheap to buy as a single item, the regular ones cover all processors up to and including 95W max TDP, and those will work with the two processors I list just below.

Processors..... X5675 versus X5672.  The first is the fastest official version 2 hexacore.  The second is the fastest official version 2 quad core.  Clock speed of the second is faster than the significantly more expensive first.  I have one of each here, both with two processors.

If you want to spend a lot more money some have reported that you can run two of the X5690s in a version 2 Z600..... but you'd need two of the "Performance" heatsink/fan setups..... and that would be quite an added cost also.   However, others have reported that the X5690 processors in fact will not work in the Z600 version 2 workstations.

My idea was to get the fastest possible processors approved by HP for the Z600 version 2 at the least cost, and for that I chose the X5672 (two per Z600).  Rocket ship, plus it gets a HP workstation into their hands.  I chose the cheaper 8 cores (each running faster) over getting the more expensive net of 12 cores (running slower).

View solution in original post

34 REPLIES 34
HP Recommended

Hi,

Z600 is a CTO series of many machines therefore very hard to work out which one is which. Please look at the following list of options

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c01709707

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

It sounds like you already know about the Boot Block date that you can see in BIOS easily, and know the date to look for.  If the workstation is already running the Xeon E56xx series processor(s) then it is the newer better version of the motherboard.  I have used that approach in the past for buying used Z600 workstations for a donation project locally, and that has not failed me.  Also, sometimes the eBay seller will show a screen shot picture of that first page in BIOS that includes the Boot Block date.  That is a certain way to go.

If you buy one of the very slowest version 2 ones you can find it will be cheaper, as you are going to upgrade the processor(s) with a used faster one off eBay.  A key piece of info.... buy a dog-slow one with 2 processors.  Getting an extra heatsink/fan this way is wise.  Those are not cheap to buy as a single item, the regular ones cover all processors up to and including 95W max TDP, and those will work with the two processors I list just below.

Processors..... X5675 versus X5672.  The first is the fastest official version 2 hexacore.  The second is the fastest official version 2 quad core.  Clock speed of the second is faster than the significantly more expensive first.  I have one of each here, both with two processors.

If you want to spend a lot more money some have reported that you can run two of the X5690s in a version 2 Z600..... but you'd need two of the "Performance" heatsink/fan setups..... and that would be quite an added cost also.   However, others have reported that the X5690 processors in fact will not work in the Z600 version 2 workstations.

My idea was to get the fastest possible processors approved by HP for the Z600 version 2 at the least cost, and for that I chose the X5672 (two per Z600).  Rocket ship, plus it gets a HP workstation into their hands.  I chose the cheaper 8 cores (each running faster) over getting the more expensive net of 12 cores (running slower).

HP Recommended

Thank you very much.

I am aware that secondary cooler is expensive and that was one of the reason why wanted to buy one that allready has two of them. But, I saw that if I can find right screws, any cooler that supports lga 1366 can fit- Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 is one example. I dont know about max height of the cooler, but suppose that anything bellow 140 mm is fine since Freezer fits.

About CPUs- I would really like to buy those that you recommend, but thats out of my budget. I will go either two X5650 or X5660 since they have ok price on EU ebay. Anything more expensive and I am allready in dual lga 2011 kind of budget which is something I am tring to avoid.

I want best bang for the buck. 🙂

24gb of ram is ok for my needs (VM, 3d modeling) so I will look for dual E5620 or E5630 setup with that amount of memory. Total cost of the system with dual hex upgrade will probably be in 450-470£ range.

HP Recommended

The shape of those 95W-max-TDP Z600 "Mainstream" heatsinks/fans is offset so the memory cooling shroud just barely fits.  I doubt a generic heatsink/fan will fit properly, and you don't want to throw away that cooling benefit for your memory.

As an alternative you could look for a 130W-max-TDP "Performance" fan from the Z400 which will just fit over one (but not both) of the Z600 sockets if you slightly bend down the silver rear air deflector.   I have done this to check, and it does.

The Z600 workstation will not complain about having 1 Mainstream and 1 Performance heatsink/fan to cool both 95W processors.  The Performance heatsink/fan made specifically for the Z600 are rare and quite costly.  Performance wise I am very happy with my current 95W X5765 processors.  There are many more of the Z400 Performance fans out there, rated for the hotter running 130W processors that most of the Z400s use.  Those go for about $30.00 USD used off eBay here, including shipping. 

EDIT:  THE Z400 PERFORMANCE HEATSINK HAS HEAT TUBE TIPS THAT PROJECT UPWARDS ENOUGH TO KEEP THE SIDE LID OF A Z600 FROM FULLY CLOSING IN MANY CASES.  IT DOES NOT SEEM WORTH THE TROUBLE TO FIND A WORKAROUND TO THIS ISSUE.  RATHER, SEARCH OUT THE OFFICIAL Z600/Z800 PERFORMANCE HEATSINK/FAN WHICH DO NOT HAVE THIS PROBLEM.

Be careful buying a non-HP heatsink/fan also because HP has tuned its fans to the PWM control system of its motherboards.

HP Recommended

I manage to get whole system with following specs for a good price:

• Dual (2x) Intel Xeon Six Core X5650 @ 2.66GHz
  • 48GB PC3-10600 Memory
  • 160GB 10K Raptor SATA Hard Drive
  • 500GB SATA Hard Drive
  • DVD +/- RW SATA Optical Drive
  • nVidia Quadro 4000 Graphics Card
  • Gigabit Ethernet, USB 2.0, Firewire, Onboard Sound, PS2
  • Microsoft Windows 7 Pro COA (License) on case 
  • Windows 7 Pro 64bit fresh install and activated (No Media Provided)

I got it for 430 British pounds inc. shipping. Seems like a pretty good deal since similar configs are +100 BP more.

I really hope thats not a scam and whole thing survives shipping.

HP Recommended

Pranja,

You have purchased wisely.  You can later go up from where you are in the processors, but what you have is quite excellent.  You can look at the cost of 2 x E5675 processors (SLBYL sSpec code to search under in eBay).  Note in the Intel Ark link about processor wattage (95W max TDP) that your and those faster processors both can use the same heatsinks/fans.  And, that they both use the fastest 1333 MHz memory (so you will be running the fastest possible memory on this workstation which is your1333/10600).

One key thing that many do not know.... this is the last generation where it is so easy and cheap to add a second processor.

That video card is quite fast... there are faster but you'll not likely need that or notice a difference.

Your W7Pro COA.... hopefully you can capture via the HP "Restore" partition on the drive via a clean HP restore media capture onto a USB.  Not likely... these rarely come with the same HDD they were sent out from HP with.  However, make sure to capture the COA this install is linked to (assuming it is not an official HP build).  That way you can use that same W7Pro64-bit COA during install from a spare W7Pro64 system builder DVD, and install clean on a SSD.  There are utilities that let you capture the COA for use with a later clean install, and you don't want to lose that opportunity.  Take a google look at Jelly win coa, free.  If you have purchased the W7Pro64 COA legally as a system builder COA you should archive it.  If it came legally with your workstation purchase you should archive that also.

There is the one weak link to fix, and even that is not a rush.... you could now (or later) get an Intel 320 series 300GB SSD (SATA 2, which is what your workstation is), and that will be a quantum leap up from your 10K HDD in speed.  Keep that 500GB as your documents drive.....  probably delete its partition and long-type NTFS reformat it so you start clean.  You even might be able to get away with using an Intel 320 Series 160GB SSD as your boot/applications drive, plus the 500 as your documents drive.

Best to your with this very excellent workstation.....

p.s.  If you wish to upgrade to USB3 you can do so quite  nicely.... look up my posts on the TI "2x2" HP card I have installed in both xw and your ZX00 generation workstation.

HP Recommended

This two X5650 will be fine for me. I might upgrade to faster CPU's next year, but for all my current needs this is perfect.

I don't have any intention to use Quadro GPU- I will use my GTX 660 and later upgrade to GTX 1060 when I switch from my multi monitor setup to single 42" 4K TV.

Win 7 and stock HDD's will not be used. I have 120 GB Kingston Fury SSD for OS and apps and 2 TB WD Blue for storage.

I will use Windows 10 Education which is the same as Enterprise version but without Cortana (which I don't need).

USB3.0 will be used-thank you for recommendation. DVD drive is junk for me since I don't use optical discs since 2010. Can Z600 boot without DVD drive? I really want to replace it with drive bay with card reader and couple of USB 3.0 ports for the front.

HP Recommended

Alll sounds good.....

No need to have a DVD or CD reader in the workstation to boot.  If you ever need an optical drive you can buy an external USB-attached optical drive, and can even boot from it if you have BIOS set to boot from USB devices included in the listing there.  Such external cases with SATA to USB bridge built in are inexpensive and can be handy to have around.  I'd recommend attaching it to a rear USB2 port if you need to ever do that, for best compatibility.

I'll assume you know how to W10 Pro 64 activate from your W7Pro64 install..... you'll want to do a clean install after that, but once you have W10Pro64 activated on that Z600, from any drive you have running on it that is properly W7Pro64 activated then your BIOS UUID will be stored at the central MS servers and you won't need to feed it a COA license code for W10Pro64 ever again.  You can find how to activate as an upgrade, still, by searching.

There is room for a DVD and a second available 5.25" bay is available next to it in the Z600.  Finally, I've posted with details and pictures on how to install that HP USB3 card here.

HP Recommended

God thing that you mentioned USB boot. I forgot to ask one more thing.

In can case taht I need to do clean install of my OS (which currently I don't need to since it's installed on my SSD), does Z600 support installation from USB key? That feature is very usefull to me since I might add dual boot Linux distro and doen't want to use DVD.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.