Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z600
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello,

Just wanted to know if a Z600 Motherboard with ... PCB FAB Rev 1.01

Is the C2 version with the boot block date of 01/07/10

I have asked the seller to have a look in the bios to find out for me for sure. But doesnt want to mess about with it. lol

I have a Z600 here in my office that is PCB FAB Rev 1.0 that is the newer version C2 with the BBD of 01/07/10

But the Rev 1.01 im unsure about with regards to it being  a B3-based system with “01/30/09” date or a C2-based system with the “01/07/10” date

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

JM.... you are right.  The Z400 was the one that started with 4 memory slots in version 1 and went to 6 memory slots in version 2.  You understand the boot block date approach to differentiate between the version 1 and 2 workstations.  The Z600 started with 6 memory slots in version 1 and kept 6 in version 2.  There are several other ways to tell them apart:

In a sense..... do not use the MB version printed on the surface of the motherboard.  It is better to use the white printed bar code label on the motherboard.  It turns out that there were two series for the Z600 motherboards.... those that had the REV value on that label starting with 0 (zero) versus those starting with A.  All the REV 0x (such as 0M, 0R, etc.)  will be version 1.  All the REV Ax (such as AH, AJ, AK) will be version 2.  So, you want an A series board, not an 0 series board, if you use the REV method.

This is easier:  There is a Spares Part Number on the left side of the bar code label.  If it is 461439-001 it is a version 1.  And, there is an Assembly Part Number on the right side of the bar code label.  If it is 460840-001 or -002 it is a version 1.  In contrast, for the version 2 boards the SP# will be 591184-001 and the AS# will be 460840-003.

Coming back to your original question and my "In a sense....." comment.  You asked if "PCB FAB REV 1.01" was a C2 (version 2) or a B3 (version 1) board.  All the "A series" (version 2) boards have "PCB FAB REV 1.0" printed on the motherboard just above the bar code label.  All the "0 series" (version 1) boards have "PCB FAB REV 1.01" or "PCB FAB REV 1.02" printed above the bar code label.  Thus, that Z600 you are looking at is a version 1 workstation... don't buy it.

A bonus tip.... the little chipset cooler on all these Z600 workstations runs way too fast (roughly 4500 RPM).  Add in a 4-wire Noctua ULNA adapter to drop its RPMs down to drop the unnecessary noise and prolong life of the tiny fan.  The Noctua you want is a NA-RC6.  You usually can find these on eBay.  The NA-RC7 will not slow it as much but can be used if you can't find a NA-RC6.  I've used those for years and have checked the chipset temps.... no detriment to dropping the RPMs by roughtly 1/2 this way.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

as i recall the C2 boards have 6 dimm slots instead of 4

the C2 board supports xeons 55/56xx series the B2 board only supports 55xx series xeons

HP Recommended

Many thanks for your reply, although you are refering to the... Z400 workstations with a single cpu came with 4 dimm slots and the newer one came with 6 dimm slots.

My question is about the Z600 Motherboard with ... PCB FAB Rev 1.01 

By that only clue... "PCB FAB Rev 1.01" can it be determind as a B3 or C2 system.

HP Recommended

JM.... you are right.  The Z400 was the one that started with 4 memory slots in version 1 and went to 6 memory slots in version 2.  You understand the boot block date approach to differentiate between the version 1 and 2 workstations.  The Z600 started with 6 memory slots in version 1 and kept 6 in version 2.  There are several other ways to tell them apart:

In a sense..... do not use the MB version printed on the surface of the motherboard.  It is better to use the white printed bar code label on the motherboard.  It turns out that there were two series for the Z600 motherboards.... those that had the REV value on that label starting with 0 (zero) versus those starting with A.  All the REV 0x (such as 0M, 0R, etc.)  will be version 1.  All the REV Ax (such as AH, AJ, AK) will be version 2.  So, you want an A series board, not an 0 series board, if you use the REV method.

This is easier:  There is a Spares Part Number on the left side of the bar code label.  If it is 461439-001 it is a version 1.  And, there is an Assembly Part Number on the right side of the bar code label.  If it is 460840-001 or -002 it is a version 1.  In contrast, for the version 2 boards the SP# will be 591184-001 and the AS# will be 460840-003.

Coming back to your original question and my "In a sense....." comment.  You asked if "PCB FAB REV 1.01" was a C2 (version 2) or a B3 (version 1) board.  All the "A series" (version 2) boards have "PCB FAB REV 1.0" printed on the motherboard just above the bar code label.  All the "0 series" (version 1) boards have "PCB FAB REV 1.01" or "PCB FAB REV 1.02" printed above the bar code label.  Thus, that Z600 you are looking at is a version 1 workstation... don't buy it.

A bonus tip.... the little chipset cooler on all these Z600 workstations runs way too fast (roughly 4500 RPM).  Add in a 4-wire Noctua ULNA adapter to drop its RPMs down to drop the unnecessary noise and prolong life of the tiny fan.  The Noctua you want is a NA-RC6.  You usually can find these on eBay.  The NA-RC7 will not slow it as much but can be used if you can't find a NA-RC6.  I've used those for years and have checked the chipset temps.... no detriment to dropping the RPMs by roughtly 1/2 this way.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble in your very informative and detailed answer to my question.

With regards to the Noctua low noise adapters NA-RC6 / NA-RC7. I will definately install one of them on the chipset fan. Very good idea that, thank you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.