Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z600
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all,

Is there are any chance to run a HP Z600 Workstation (dual X5675) with a RTX 2060 without any external power supply and/or any modification?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

the HP "quickspecs" for this model  http://www.hp.com/canada/products/landing/workstations/files/13277_na.pdf

shows the NVIDIA Quadro FX 4800 as the highest power video option at 150 watts

and the nvidia 2060 is a 160 watt card, which is 10 watts more

based on your description of installed hardware, yes you can run the 2060, but you will be close to the limit HP specs as a maxed out configuration power wise

and FYI,....hp allows 75 watts per pci-e slot 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

as i recall the z600 has a 650 watt supply, if you are not running all ram slots filled, and using multiple mech drives and several pci-e cards installed i see no reason the 2060 would not work as it's power draw is quite small compared to the 2070/80 cards

several posters on here like  "SDH"  have posted numerous times on the z600/z620 use the sites search function to locate them

HP Recommended

Ramslots are filled and I want to get a PCIe card for two NVMe SSD and I have two hdd.

The fact that HP Maintenance guide says: max PCIe power is 150 wat, - l have no idea that this number already includes the 75w from the PCI bus or not. - but the 2060 is a 160w card.

HP Recommended

the HP "quickspecs" for this model  http://www.hp.com/canada/products/landing/workstations/files/13277_na.pdf

shows the NVIDIA Quadro FX 4800 as the highest power video option at 150 watts

and the nvidia 2060 is a 160 watt card, which is 10 watts more

based on your description of installed hardware, yes you can run the 2060, but you will be close to the limit HP specs as a maxed out configuration power wise

and FYI,....hp allows 75 watts per pci-e slot 

HP Recommended

Okay thanks! I will try it and if have problems, I will use an external PSU according to the plan B.

HP Recommended

i Have aktually a Z600 v2 Workstation, with 2   X5675 CPU´s and 48 GB RAM
and a RTX 2060 in use without Problems.
Harddisks are one M.2 SSD AHCI (Boot) and 
one M.2 SSD NVME (Data) on a single PCIe Adapter.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply. Can you tell me what power connector your graphic card have? (Just 8 pin or 8 pin + 6 pin)

HP Recommended

Shure,

My RTX 2060 is an OEM from a HP PC
it has Two 6 Pin Power Connectors.
I Use the one from the Power Supply an One over an Adapter from the Sata Power Cable, because i don´t have any Sata Devices.
I Think it´s also no Problem to use an 6 to 8 PIN Adapter on the PSU Power Cable and another 6 Pin over the SATA Line.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.